Chapter 60 (2/2): Infected

Carter's P.O.V

 " Patrick was fine yesterday, and he died overnight," Carol states, the Council sitting at the table in the library. " Two people died that quick? We'll have to seperate everyone that's been exposed."

 " That's everyone in that cellblock," Daryl adds on. " That's all of us. Maybe more."

 " We know that this sickness can be lethal," Hershel says beside me. I glance up from the table, Glenn staring at me with concern on his face. I barely shake my head, his eyes growing with concern before looking over at Hershel. " We don't know how easily it spreads. Is anyone else showing signs of symptoms that we know of?" he questions.

 " We can't just wait and see. There's children," Carol states again. " It isn't just the illness. If people die, they become a threat."

 " We need a place for them to go," is the only response Hershel gives. " They can't stay in D. We can't risk going in there to clean it up."

 " We can use cell block A."

 " Death row?" Glenn questions. " I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade."

 " It's clean. That's an upgrade," Daryl states. " Think that'll work for Dr. S?" he nods his question to Hershel.

 " I'll help Caleb get it set up." A cough ends our conversation, Daryl standing up quickly as do I. We walk over quickly, finding Karen the one coughing, being led by Tyreese.

 " You don't sound so good," Carol states, walking out into the corridor.

 " We're just taking her back to my cell," Tyreese answers obliviously.

 " Tyreese, I don't think that's a good idea," Hershel announces.

 " Why? What's going on now?" Karen questions. Carol glances at me before I answer, crossbow in hand.

 " There's a chance you may have caught the flu in D block," I explain. " It's how Patrick died."

 " Judith was in that cell block. She's vulnerable," Hershel adds on. " Anyone that may be sick or even exposed should stay away."

 " She's gonna be okay," Tyreese states, not budging his idea. " Now that we know what Patrick died from we can treat it, right?"

 " Don't panic. We're going to figure this out. But we should keep you separated in the meantime. We'll have Caleb take a look at you. I'll see what we have in the way of medications," Hershel calms them down, only for Karen to speak.

 " David from the Decatur group, he's been coughing, too," she states, Sasha saying she'll get him before leaving. Carol helps take Karen and Tyreese to block A. Daryl goes to bury the dead ones, Herhsel walking away to find Rick.

 " You okay?" Daryl questions, seeing my face a bit pale.

 " Yeah, I just need to talk to Glenn," I explain. He gives a silent nod before walking away. Glenn leans against the wall across from me as I do the same. I feel his gaze, but continue to look at the ground.

 " You haven't told him?" Glenn asks.

 " What am I say?" I question, trying to calm myself. " I'm pregnant with his brother's baby beacuse of-" I cut myself, not wanting to think of  that.

 " How can be so sure ab-"

 " We never did it," I cut him off. He only gives a confused expression. " We. Never. Did. It," I emphasize. Glenn's eyes go wide, his mouth slightly ajar. " What?" I question.

 " You and I have very different relationships," he mumbles to himself. " So what are you gonna do? Just wait until he notices?"

 " I don't know," I grumble, looking back at the floor. I glance up at him once more. " Let's go. Rick and Daryl may need our help." I walk past him, hearing his footsteps follow.

 Walking outside, I squint, seeing the fence moving not like it should be. " Shit the fence!" I curse, sprinting down the rocky path. Maggie yells for Rick and Daryl, who begin running with us. I grab a sharpen pole, killing as many walkers as I can through the fence. We try to move quickly, only for me to stop in my tracks, Sasha seeing what I see on the ground. Dead rats, their heads being torn off, fur soaked in blood.

 " Someone's feeding these thing?" she yells. Everyone stops for a moment before we click back into reality, seeing the fence beginning to fall. We move quickly, understanding what's happening soon to the fence.

 " It's gonna give!" Rick repeats twice. We all push against the fence, trying to hold it up. Daryl yells at us to move back, which we do, seeing the horde winning the match.

 " The fence keeps bending in like that, those walkers are gonna come over it," Sasha hollers. I see Rick look behind us. I follow his gaze, seeing the pig pen.

 " Daryl, get the truck.  I know what to do," he states, Daryl following orders.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Sitting on the bed, I shake my leg, trying to clear the anxiety running through me. A knock makes me look up, seeing Maggie at the door. " Glenn tell you?" I question, looking down at my fidgeting fingers.

 " Yeah," she mumbles. A humorless scoff escapes me.

 " Could never keep shit to himself," I joke with sarcasm. I look up, seeing her eyes stare at my tear stained cheeks.

 " Maybe you're not," she tries to say, only for a humorless chuckle to escape me.

 " I am," I groan,  moving out of my sitting position, standing in front of her. I move my hand, allowing the light to shine on it. " I am," I repeat, a choked sob escaping me. Her eyes become big as the item drops from my hand. She pulls me close, hugging me tightly as I hold in the sobs, my eyes still on the positive pregnancy test.