Chapter 42: Say The Word

Carter's P.O.V

 " Rick? Rick you with me?" Daryl questions, only to give up soon after.

 " What are we gonna feed it?" I ask, Carl bringing the baby to Hershel.

 " We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl adds.

 " Good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula and soon, or she won't survive."

 " We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run."

 " I'll go," I state. He nods before talking to Beth, taking role as the leader for now. I look over at Rick, seeing the man grab his weapons before running inside the prison, Maggie calling him but he ignores her.

 " Any place that hasn't been looted yet?" I ask the couple, me and Daryl getting our shit together.

 " We saw signs for a shopping center just north of here, but there's too muh debris for a car to get through."

 " We take my bike then." I hum in agreement, fixing the strap on my quiver before hopping on the bike with Daryl, him starting up the motor before driving off, Oscar, closing the gate behind us.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 He stops, me hopping off  before pulling the fence gate open, Daryl going inside as I follow. We have our weapons ready, passing a small playground before looking through the windows. I place my bow and arrow in one hand, grabbing the barrel of my gun with the other before slamming the butt of it into the window. It shatters, which I hop through, seeing I landed in a baby room. I look through cabinets, finding baby supplies as Daryl follows me. He walks down the hallway, me following.

 I go to the room on the right as he goes left. We hear scratchin in another room, me and Daryl slowly walking to it. He has an arrow ready as I grab the handle, pulling the door open. He shoots, only for it to be a possum.

 " Hello dinner," he states as I look in another cabinet, finding baby formula. I only hum in acknowledgment. " You alright?" ha asks. I hum again. " Hey." I walk past him, looking in another room. I find some more formula, throwing it in my bag, before turning, only to see a baby carrige. The name Sophia on it. I look away, trying to shake the thoughts as my hands wrap around my dog tags.

 " Hey." I look up, seeing Daryl. " I asked if you're okay." I shrug, looking away.

 " We need to get the formula back." I go through the window again, hearing him groan a moment before following me, starting the bike again.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Daryl drives through the gates, Glenn shooting the walkers getting close to us from the tower. Oscar closes the gate again. We move quickly, getting back inside. I start getting the formula together, Daryl now holding the baby. Finishing quickly, I hand Daryl the bottle, placing my bow back where it belongs. He quiets the baby down, now feeding her. Leaning up against the wall, I look at him, biting the inside of my cheek to hide a smile.

 " She got a name yet?" he asks, only for Carl to say no. " We'll call her Little Ass Kicker for now." A small smile plays my lips, glancing at the floor before seeing him looking over at me. " Little Ass Kicker, you like that huh?" he asks the baby. I smile, looking back at my feet. I walk over to Glenn, taking his rifle before walking out.

 " Where you going?" he questions, making everyone look at me.

 " Take watch." I look back at him." I'll be fine," I state, walking out.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Staring outside, I feel the wind hitting me face, sitting on the tower Glenn was at before. The stars shining brighter for some reason. A sigh escapes me, standing up again. I aim the rifle, hearing noises behind me.

 " You didn't answer my question you know." I roll my eyes, looking back past the fence as Daryl closes the trap door before standing beside me, looking out too. " Will you answer me?"

 " What's there to say?" I finally ask, looking over to him. " We just lost T and Carol but I'm fantastic? I just murdered Lori but I feel great?" I question.

 " Carter you didn't-"

 " Or that I just killed a mother in front of her son? That I could've done something more if I had just done-" I cut myself off, looking away from, trying to control my breathing. I rock back and forth on my heels, letting the tears disappear before looking back at him, seeing guilt and pity in his eyes. " No. I'm not okay. But I've learned to get over it. We have more important things to deal with. We need to care for this child."

 " I still want to make sure you're okay. You're my priority," he states, grabbing my chin to look at him. " You should know that by now," he jokes slightly, making me bite back a smile. His face grows serious after a few moments, his eyes becoming focused on me. " Don't think you killed her." I glare at him, moving his hands away from me.

 " Quit lying," I state, movig away from him. He grabs my arm, turning me towards him.

 " I'm not lying. Will you please listen to me? You did all you could to help her."

 " But, I-I could've done-" A pair of lips cut me off, a squeal escaping me. He pulls away a small smirk on his face.

 " Shut up," he says, pulling me to him again. His lips touch mine again, me finally responding to him.