Chapter 16 : Cherokee Rose

Carter's P.O.V

 The drive to their farm was bland, other than me and Daryl glancing at each other while riding our bikes, R.V and other cars behind us. We stop in front of the house, hopping off our bikes as Rick and Lori walk out.

 " Is he..." I trail off, looking at Rick. He gives a small grin, making me sigh in relief before giving a smile as well.

 " Thanks to Hershel and his people. Shane helped him too," he replies. I glance over at Shane, seeing his head now shaved as Rick continues, " And thank you, for carrying my boy. Helped make sure he lost a lot less blood." I give a slight nod, Dale sighing in relief behind me, giving Rick a hug. Carol giving Lori one as well.

 I sit on the porch, looking across the field as they have a funeral for some man who worked with the family, saving Carl too. Otis from what I remember. My stare lingers at the sight before walking inside the house, hearing Carl give a painful groan.

 " Sh sh sh. You're okay sweetie, go back to sleep Carl," I whisper, rubbing his head.

 " Where-Where's Mom?" he groans.

 " They're having a funeral for the man who saved you. They'll be back soon."

 " What happened to me, Carter?"

 " I-um," I clear my throat, " It was just a stupid accident." I give him a small smile, him giving a tired one in return. " Go back to sleep Carl. You need to rest." He nods his head before closing his eyes, his breathing going at an even pace. I kiss his forehead before walking outside, seeing people coming back from the field.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 " How long this girl been lost?"

 " This'll be day three," Rick replies, us standing around the hood of the car, Maggie coming back with a map of the area, laying it out with rocks at the edges. " This is perfect, we can finally get this thing organized. We'll grid out the whole area, start searching in teams."

 " Not you Rick. You gave three units of blood," Hershel argues, " And your ankle, you push it now, you'll be laid up a month. No good to anybody," he says to Shane.

 " Guess it's me and Carter. We can go head back to the creek, work our way up from there," Daryl pronounces.

 " We need gun training though. Can't go around with knives," Shane states. Hershel reacts by arguing we won't have any

 " This is your property. You say no guns and we will respect that," Rick states, ending the conversation. He lays his Python on the map, staring at us. I look around before pulling my Glock out, placing it down as well, Shane following with his weapon. " First things first: Set camp, find Sophia."

 " I hate to ask but somebody's got to. What happens if we find her and she's bit? I think we should all be clear how we handle that."

 " She's gonna be fine," I interrupt, " Little girl is gonna be fine. Get your mind out of that territory Shane-O-Mac," I snap. He rolls his eyes before explaining a few things which I mute out before walking away, him calling my name before giving up. I grab my bow and quiver, slinging 'em on my back before walking off towards the forest. I hear faint footsteps behind me, making me give a small smirk.

 " I can hear you, Daryl," I say, making him groan slightly.

 " How'd you know it's me?"