Chapter 16 - Yes, I Know You Best

Though I act so tough around her now, like I don't need her attention. Somehow I am craving for that. I want to know how her life is without me. Sure she have Jeongyeon Unnie now. Her new buddy. Isn't it different then? 

Jeongyeon Unnie now gathers us up to create a surprise party for her. Years ago, I was in Unnie's position. I prepared everything and made sure she didn't smell a bit. It was always simple. Jeongyeon Unnie has a bigger idea even. She wants to rent the whole cafe, and throw a party for her. I am incomparable then. We already debut for 4 years now, it's easy now to throw a party like this. Jeongyeon Unnie is a master of parties. No party ain't like her party. She always succeeds. Jeongyeon Unnie rents a cafe in Apgujeong. It's a retro thematic cafe. So indeed, we have to dress up in the retro theme.

While Mina Unnie who doesn't know anything, she will dress in a plain white dress. What a great idea. We told her to do so. Everyone's come. Not only Twice members and our staff. Mina Unnie's best friends are there, Bam Oppa, as well as other 97 liners Jimin Unnie, Yerin Unnie, Yugyeom Oppa. Recently Mina Unnie kind of join other 97 liner friendship, hence we could also see Chaeyeon Unnie, Yuju Unnie, Eunha Unnie, DK Oppa and The8 Oppa. So many celebrities tonight. As expected, Yoo Jeongyeon. We all dress in the 80 theme party. I see some reference, I dress up as one of the Heathers, from Heathers movie in the 80s.

We all gather here waiting for Mina Unnie. Mina only knows that Twice members will be there. Then, Jeongyeon Unnie cue is to silent for a while. Mina Unnie is at the front gate. When she opened the door, an angelic face shows up. It's her. Right now, it's like God slow and stops my time. Mina Unnie is really really beautiful. She wears a white dress as in white wedding dress. It's short dress. She wear red heels and flowery headbands in her head. She's totally rocking the bride image in my mind. She's so beautiful I can't take my eyes off her. Like any other birthday party. We prepare the cake for her, she blows the candles. Then Jeongyeon Unnie prepares some games. Ah, one thing that I don't see tonight is Minjae Oppa, where is he? Isn't he her boyfriend? Or not? Ah I don't know. I don't care. 

As usual, even though it's Mina Unnie birthday party, I hate parties. Or I hate it because it's Mina's? I don't really like myself right now. I now become quite when it comes to her. I don't want to show my feeling, but somehow I get really quite until a person ask me "Are you alright, Chaeng?" I really hate that question. Because somehow I don't what the answer is. Am I alright? Why would I not alright then? Watching her from this silent, and from the very far is the best option I got now. Because somehow, she avoids me lately. This is a reset. This is just like years back then when she started training to the company. I reset that button.

Yoo Jeongyeon did it. She perfectly did this party. Everyone thank her. Mina Unnie praises her all the time. All I can do is always looking engage in every conversation. I laugh when I have to laugh, I smile when I have to smile. I compliment someone when other compliment them as well. What a jerk. We then go home. Our members love after party. The one that couldn't stand it is me, Momo Unnie and Jihyo Unnie. 3 of us are easily tired. Besides I prevent myself from getting drunk, cause I'll do stupid things. The others even know that 3 of us will turn down the offer immediately. The head to somewhere else. It's already 1 am. Me and the rest go to the dorm.

In the like this, I look at my phone. No text from Samuel as well. He must be busy. I am alone in my room since Tzuyu and Dahyun Unnie goes for the after party. I hate night time. If I can't sleep, I'll just stare at my ceiling and ended up over think things and cry. I hear someone open the front door. It's just 2 am, are they back yet? I don't care. They don't make noise. It must be manager Unnie then. I back to my position, stare at my ceiling. Then someone opens the door, without even looking I just guessing.

"Tzuyu, Dahyun Unnie? You are back already?"

I don't get the answer. That person closes my door. Must be the managers then. Feeling insecure I walk down my stair and go to the living room.

It's her. Drink something from the refrigerator. Juice. Still wearing the dress. Still beautiful even for 2 am in the morning.

"Unnie, you're back already?"

"Yeah. But the rest still have a drink"

"You are the star, but you leave them?" I say it while giggling a bit.

"You know them, right? They'll start drinking and got drunk. I have a schedule for tomorrow, I'll leave them, it's past midnight, No longer the star anymore"

I laugh and leave her, then she calls me.

"Chaengie"

"Yes Unnie?"

"This is from you right?"

She then shows me a handheld game console with the black ribbon around it. I left her present in her bed room, I don't want to give it at the party. She might pass it easily. I want her to remember my present. I did it on purpose.

"How do you know?" I play dumb.

"Because there's a doodle inside? I recognize you drawing"

I laugh "Ah Yes" I then get close to her and shake her hand. "Happy birthday, Unnie. I never had a chance to give you a proper congratulatory yesterday"

"Do you know that I really really like this present, don't you. It's just released a week ago" She said it with both happy and move

Of course, I know it. I once enter Mina Unnie room, her laptop is opened and she just read some articles about Nintendo Switch Mini. A week ago, Nintendo releases it. I even took my time off to queuing with gamers across Seoul to get it.

"I know. You better play with it like a lot, okay? I got troubles for finding your birthday present"

She then hugs me.

"Thank you! So much. Out of any present that I got, this is the best. You know me best" She hugged me tightly. I feel relieved that she likes it. Yes, she had to know that I'm the one who knows her best.

"You're welcome" She then releases the hug and facing me. She then cups my face with her hands. My God, my heart is beating so fast. She's not drunk, for certain. What is this then? She then strokes my hair. I freeze. I hope she doesn't notice my big gulp. 

"Our Chaengie is growing up!" This is the alcohol talking for sure. I like to think that she's tipsy.

"Unnie, I'm a college student now" I say it with my heart is beating.

"I know, I know" I gulp. I hope she won't notice my nervousness.

She stares too long. She then releases me again.

"Chaengie......."

"Ah Unnie" I cut her off. "You know that I don't like gifts, huh?"

"Hem" She nod. 

"Don't think about giving me something in return, a month from now, okay?"

She laughs "You are so over confident. I don't want to buy you a present at all, not even planning it"

"Good then" I laugh as well.

I then leave her for my room. I closed the door, my legs feel so weak I fall down. We never have a chance like that again in months. Mina Unnie never shows her affection towards me in a month. Is it because of Nintendo? Or she really cares about me a lot? Is she sincere then? I feel weak. A little action from her cause my world fall upon me. I don't want to suffer myself, and yet at the same time, I'm craving for her attention.

My phone then vibrate. It's Samuel. Perfect distraction.