Chapter 39: On a Break

Monday; September 4, 2017

Candice

I feel frustrated and so tired. I been getting many cases in my hand since everyone wants me to help them out with their situations.

I sit at my office staring down at the files. One of my co-workers walks in putting another stack in.

"These are the ones for next week. I figured you wanted to take a look now at them," she says and I groan.

"It's Monday and I already have this for the following Monday?" I raise my eyebrows and she smiles.

"Sorry Candice, Mr. Oliver wants to speak to you."

I nod and get up as I head to my boss' office. I knock and hear her him say to come in. I make my way inside and close the door behind me.

"Take a seat Candice," he smiles at me and I nod taking the seat in front of him. He looks over at his computer then back at me. "How you been Candice?"

"Umm okay," I chuckle.

"I wanted to give you these news at some type of celebration but considering it's this Friday, you're going to be head at the conference in Miami."

"Wh-what?"

"I chose you to come with me to this important meeting. I know I said that you can do your files here and work with the people around our area, but working with people from all around the world will benefit you more."

"I c-can't. I'm sorry it's just too much for me."
"The money is good Candice."
I sigh and look down at my lap.

"You're stressed aren't you?"

"I'm sorry it's just, I don't get to spend time with my daughter. I'm barely home and I feel that she needs me."
"I understand. You know what? Why don't you take a break? A couple of weeks off, you can relax and just don't worry with work."
"Are you serious?"

"Of course Candice," he smiles and reaches over grabbing my hand. I pull it back and look down.

"Thank you sir."

"Please call me Aaron."

I nod as I get up and walk out of his office.

**

I arrive home later and smile as Harry makes his way downstairs.

"Sweetheart," he smiles hugging me. I smile hugging back and pull away looking up at him.

"I have some news."

"What is it?"

"I'm taking a break from work. Well from my main job. I will be home more often now."

"Really? Uh th-that's great," he smiles. "I'm glad you're getting time for yourself."

"I just miss being around with you and Roxanne. I hardly see her, and I know she's going through a hard time with this break up."

"I know sweetie, I'm glad you're taking your time off to bond with her."

"I guess it's my fault for working too much that she feels all alone. I'm going to go talk to her," I smile and he nods.

I make my way upstairs and knock on her door.

"Come in."

I walk in as she's laying down reading a book.

"Hey sweetie, how are you feeling?" I smile walking over and sit next to her.

"I'm fine," she sighs setting her book down.

"Look, I'm sorry for hardly being around the house I know I been too busy and you should be my main priority."

"Mom it's fine. I'm fine. Just because my boyfriend broke up with me, it doesn't mean it's the end of the world okay?"

"I know I know, but I want to spend more time with you. And either way I been so stressed with work and too overwhelmed. I'm taking a break from my paralegal department."

"What? You're on a break?"

"Yeah just a couple of weeks," I smile at her and she nods.

"Oh. That's cool."

"I'll let you rest," I kiss her forehead and get up. I make my way out and Harry smiles at me.

"You hungry?"

"A bit," I smile at him walking downstairs as he leads me to the kitchen. 

--

You got a point of view of Candice haha :D more Roxanne and Harry on the next one