Chapter 70: Unpleasant Thanksgiving

Thursday; November 23, 2017

Roxanne

When I woke up I was greeted by the worst hangover ever. I went to take a shower and put on my usual lazy clothes.

I do my usual morning routine and make my way downstairs to the kitchen. My mom glares up at me from her cup of coffee.

"Bad headache?"

I ignore her getting myself some aspirin. Harry then walks over and smiles at my mom kissing her cheek.

"Good morning sweetheart."

"Morning," she giggles.

Harry looks my way and I just look away.

"So you don't have anything to say?" My mom asks me.

"Of?"

"Your behavior from last night. Or you don't remember because you got so drunk!"

"Wait where is Brianna?"

"I took her home early," she says.

"Whatever."

"Get your stuff ready, we're going to your grandparents'."

"What?!"

"You heard me. For that, you're spending time with them."

"No way!"

"Don't talk back to me, this is what you get for being such a brat!"
"This is your fault!! You never care of what I think!"

"That's not true."

"My opinions never matter to you," I storm upstairs and my mom yells at me.

**

The ride was long... I listened to my iPod as my mom and Harry talked amongst themselves.

I hate this.

We arrive to the ranch house where my grandparents live. We get out and I'm already bored. There's not much out here. The stores are a few miles away and there are no other houses around.

 The stores are a few miles away and there are no other houses around

This whole land is theirs.

"Candice!" My grandpa walks out and greets my mom.

"Dad," she hugs him and he smiles as she introduces Harry to her.

"Come on in."

We follow him inside.

I'm not even surprised he didn't greet me. He never liked me. I'm the major disappointment in this family.

"Has your daughter been misbehaving?" I hear him whisper to my mom. "Cause you know... we do have an extra room at the farm, we will put her to work every early morning milking the cows, feeding all the animals, cleaning up every corner."

"Dad it's okay," she chuckles. "We're all good. We came to celebrate thanksgiving with you and mom."

"Carol!!"

"Jesus Josh I'm here," my grandma smiles walking over as she has her apron on. "This must be the famous boyfriend."

"I don't know about famous," Harry chuckles.

"He's my fiancé mom."

"Oh my goodness you're so handsome," grandma goes and hugs him. I sigh standing there already wanting to go home.

"I'm starving Carol," grandpa says making them laugh. I roll my eyes annoyed.

We make our way to the dining room and sit down. Grandpa is at one end, and grandma at the other end. Mom and Harry are seated together in front of me while I stay alone.

My grandma serves everyone their food as my mom helps out. I'm the only one with no food on my plate.

Harry looks at me furrowing his eyebrows.

"You're not going to eat?"

"Umm."

"Don't expect for anyone to serve you, you have hands don't you?" My grandpa spats and I bite the inside of my cheeks nodding.

"I'm not hungry," I set the napkin down getting up.

"Where do you think you're going?" My mom asks.

"Uh anywhere but here?"

"Stop talking to your mother like that and sit down."

"No!! I didn't even want to come here in the first place. Why be somewhere where I'm not wanted?" I glare at my grandpa and sigh as I walk out.

I walk around as I head towards the fence where the horses are at. I lean over the fence as tears escape.

"I hate my life."

"Don't be so harsh on yourself."

I jump turning around as Harry looks at me with a worried expression.

"What do you want?"

"Checking up on you, to see if you're okay."

"How do you think I am? I just want to get away, from my mom from everything."
"From me?"

I sigh looking up at him.

"I just don't even think I belong there anymore. At least she has you, she doesn't need me."

"You're wrong."

"We both know it's true. Look how she treats me."

"She's just doing this to teach you a lesson, Roxanne you were out of control last night. You ruined her dinner."

"So it's all my fault."

"No, I'm not saying it's your fault. I'm just saying to face up the consequences. It's thanksgiving you should be in there spending this time with your family."

"My family hates me Harry. You saw for yourself. I wish I knew who my father was so I can go with him. I bet his family is better than this one."

"When the time is right, you will know. But for now, cherish these moments."

"Like I said... they fucking hate me. My grandparents never liked me. I'm a disappointment for ruining my mom's life. I don't even know why bother in having me if I'm going to be living like hell."

"Don't think that way Roxanne. I'll sit next to you," he takes my hand with his and I sigh wiping away a tear with my other hand. "Just ignore their remarks. You're only proving that his words affect you. You have to show him that you don't care what you think. You're not a disappointment Roxanne, you're a blessing."

"I hate you," I look up at him and he chuckles.

"You love me," he winks and I giggle as he wraps his arm around my shoulder walking back to the house.

Situations like this are so awkward. But with Harry by my side, I felt better.

He would smile at me once in a while and rub my hand from under the table every time my grandpa started talking shit.

He calmed me down.

He helped me get through one of the worst days of my life.

With just his smile, my day becomes better.