Chapter 6 - Innocence

Ross' POV

"Ross, why is life getting harder and harder? Everything was just perfect when you and Riker moved in and then it just... Changed," Laura cried into my chest as we lay on our bed.

It was night, and everyone went home.

"I thought Maia was gone. I thought she got over everything," she cried again.

I rubbed her back, trying to make her feel better. "Shh... It's okay."

Laura sat up, "No it's not. I will get my revenge on Maia. I will."

"Laura, I don't want you getting hurt-"

"Ross, tell me her address."

"Laura-"

"Now."

I sighed, "Honey Road Lane, 23rd street."

"Perfect," Laura then started to get up and put on her jacket.

"W-Where are you going?" I asked.

"Honey Road Lane, 23rd street."

"Laura, stop."

"No I won't. She killed my parents Ross. She killed them. And I'm not gonna let a thing like that pass by," and before you know it, she barged out the door.

I sighed. Here we go...

I stood up and followed her. She knocked on Riker and Vanessa's room.

"What is it?" Vanessa answered as she opened the door.

"I know where Maia lives, we're getting revenge," Laura sternly said.

Vanessa didn't hesitate, "Meet you in the car."

And soon both girls ran down the stairs.

Riker came out of the room, "They're getting into trouble, aren't they?" He asked.

"Yep."

"Maia?"

"Yep."

"Should we follow them?"

"Oh yeah."

So then Riker and I followed too. We were all in the car. Vanessa was the one driving. Apparently, she knew that if either Riker or I drove, we'd take them to any other place, other than Maia's house. Which we would do.

"Have you thought of a plan?" Vanessa asked as she drove.

"Nope..."

"Well here's one. Ross goes in first."

"What?" We all said except for Vanessa.

"Maia will most likely tell the truth to Ross. Then, we hide behind the bushes, watching from the window. Ross will come up with a signal before we go in. And once he gives us the signal, we come in, and call the police," she planned.

"Good plan," said Laura. Then she turned to me, "Ross, if you let Maia influence you in any way, I swear I will-"

I didn't let her continue, "Laura, I do not have feelings for Maia. I use to, but now I don't. I only love you, and that's final."

"Good," she smiled

It was a 10 minute drive. Once we got to Honey Road Lane, I pointed out Maia's house.

I knew this was dangerous, but if we're gonna call the police, Maia did deserve to go to jail. Actress or not, she deserves it.

Vanessa parked the car around the back.

"Okay, this is the signal," I said as I patted my leg.

"Alright, now go. We'll be behind you."

I breathed in, and walked out the car, stepping onto her front door. Vanessa, Laura and Riker followed, but stopped at the bush by the window.

I rang the bell.

The door opened.

"Ross?"

Right away, it was Maia. I haven't seen her in months. I don't know why, but there was just something about her that made me think, why did I break up with her?
Yes, I know that I shouldn't be thinking this but, it just occurred to me.

"Rossss?" She repeated when I didn't reply.

"Oh hey," I said. "Can we talk?"

"Umm... Sure, come inside," she said.

I walked in and sat down on the couch.

"Hot chocolate?" Maia asked as she walked into the kitchen.

"That'd be great, thanks."

Why is she acting so innocent?

After 5 minutes, she came back with two drinks. For me, and for her.

"Little late to be out, don't you think?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry. It's just that... You know, something I couldn't get out of my head."

"Is that what you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, tell me."

I looked across the window and saw Vanessa, Laura, and Riker watching.

"That... Text message. That you sent to Laura. Why did you do it?"

"W-What message?" She innocently asked.

"Maia, we're done acting. Don't play with me. Why did you hijack the plane Laura and Vanessa's parents were in?"

"Ross- I can't believe you'd think I'd do such a thing. I already got over what happened in Puerto Rico. I've changed."

"So then, why did you send that message to Laura saying you were the one to kill her parents?"

"Ross, what message? I changed my number after I lost my phone in Puerto Rico," she said as she showed me her new phone and her number.

"Oh..."

This was going no where.

"Ross listen... I'm sorry for what I did in-"

I cut her off. Laura and the others were still watching from the window. I really don't want them to watch anymore.

"Sorry. Um, can we talk somewhere else? Like, upstairs?" I asked, figuring they won't climb up there.

"Uh, sure," she said.

We walked up the stairs to her room. I tried not to look at the others, and just walk.

I sat on a chair.

"So, you were saying?" I said.

"That I was sorry for everything. I didn't mean to do anything mean to Laura, or hurt her. I was just... Jealous because I really like you. And I was jealous that she was getting all your love and not me. Ross, any girl would be lucky to have you as her boyfriend. And Laura's that lucky one."

Honestly, I felt guilty. "Laura never said anything like that to me..."

Maia didn't say anything. She just looked at her lap and played with her thumbs.

"Maia... Look at me," I said as I moved the chair closer to her. "You will find an amazing guy someday and he will be so lucky to have you."

"Like you?" She whispered, looking into my eyes.

I looked into hers. Maia started leaning in, but no. I kissed her myself.

Stop it Ross, this is wrong. I said to myself. But I wasn't listening.

The kiss continued, until I noticed someone watching from the window.

Perfect. It was Laura.