Chapter 18 - Kept Hidden

"My sister would have told me if something like this happened," I said.

"Which is why I'm saying, go back home and talk to your sister. I'll be here if you need me," Maia gave an evil smile and walked back into her cell as the police took her arms again.

I sat there, thinking and thinking.

Maia couldn't be telling the truth, right? She'll do anything just to make herself sound like the nice girl.

But then again, why is she so confident about this situation that she's even telling me to talk to my sister already?

...I have a really, really bad feeling about this.

I had nothing else to do but stand up, walk out of the room, pass Miranda by the hall and wave good bye, pass the security guards and take my ID, then walk home. The sky was bright. I unlocked my phone and saw it was already 6 AM.

How long was I in there?

But anyways, that means Vanessa's awake.

It was a 45 minute walk till' a reached home. Yup, that long.

There were tears in my eyes, but not enough to make me look like I'm crying. My eyes however, they were red, and hurt.

I rang the doorbell, and just perfectly, Vanessa answered.

"Laura hey... What are you doing out here, I thought you were sleeping?" She asked.

"Do we have another sister?" I gave it to her straight.

"Umm... Sorry, what?"

"I said, Do we have another sister? And was Dad a drinker?" I kept stepping closer each word, and eventually, I welcome myself inside the house.

"Laura... Where are you getting all this?"

"ANSWER THE QUESTION VANESSA."

"...W-Why are you yelling? Why are you mad? Laura, please, calm down."

"Why don't you answer me? Did Dad really drink and did he get Maia's mom pregnant? And is Melody's mom really our sister? That's why Maia killed Melody's parents, right?"

"Laura-"

"TELL ME VANESSA. TELL ME THE TRUTH!" Now I was crying.

"Okay...," she sat down. "Dad was a drinker. He use to, go out at clubs at night and went out behind Mom's back. There was this one time when, he got really drunk. And slept with another girl which was Maia's mother... In a way, Kristine was you and Maia's sister too. And she was ours..."

"WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS?!"

"Laura, you were only one year old or even less-"

"WERE YOU PLANNING ON TELLING ME? WOULD YOU HAVE EVEN TOLD ME IF I DIDNT BRING THIS UP?"

"M-Mom was able to forgive Dad... We made a deal to never tell you about his and-"

"So that's it huh? Maia just killed more of our relatives and that's it? So this makes Melody my niece. And Vanessa, I'm gonna find her wether you like it or not. I will go to the police and tell them the truth and that we had Melody and she ran away. And even if I end up in jail, I wouldn't care. At least the people in jail never lied to me!" I grabbed the vase next to me, and literally threw it on the floor and made it break into pieces. I grabbed my purse and walked upstairs, eyes filled with tears. Many tears. Leaving Vanessa speechless.

I opened my door and slammed it shut, making Ross wake up.

"Laura?" He whispered quietly.

I didn't say anything, I just ran to him, hugged him tight and cried into his chest.

"What happened to you?" He sat up straight, leaning against the headboard, sounding worried.

I can't talk properly because I was crying, "I-I couldn't help but think about if Maia was responsible for Melody running away like how she was responsible for killing her parents. So I- I went to jail and talked to her."

"Without me?!"

"Ross, please..."

"Okay..."

"She told me everything. How she- how she wasn't after me because of you. She was after me because my dad was the reason her parents divorced." Ross looked shocked, and I continued. "My Dad use to drink. He got too drunk that he slept with Maia's mom. And I have another sister. My other sister- She was Melody's mother..."

"So Melody's your-"

"Niece. Yes."

"But you couldn't believe Maia, could you?"

"At first I didn't. But then she told me that Vanessa knew about all this too," I sniffed.

"Vanessa?" Ross made sure he heard me right.

"Yes... That's why I came here crying. I just yelled at her out in the living room."

I was about to wipe my tears with my hands, when I noticed blood on them. From the vase I broke...

Ross noticed too. "L-Laura, your bleeding."

"I'm fine," I said, pushing it away.

"No you're not!"

"ROSS IM FINE."

He suddenly backed away. I scared him. And to be honest, I scared myself too.

I stared crying again, and he walked closer to me, and held me tight.

"I'm so sorry," I sobbed into him.

"It's okay... It's okay."