Chapter 21 - Siblings vs. Siblings

Laura's POV

After leaving jail, Ross and I decided to drive around for a while and look for Melody. You know, just in case we see her along the drive.

"You hungry?" Ross asked me. "We haven't eaten breakfast yet, and it's already 11:30."

"I am actually quite hungry... But I don't wanna go home," I said. "I don't wanna see my sister."

Ross sighed, then looked around, spotting the nearest restaurant. "We can go to McDonalds around the corner if you want. We could have brunch."

I smiled, "That'd be perfect."

He soon parked at the parking closest to the entrance and we walked in.

Outside, there were posters of Melody asking if they've seen this child.

Inside, there were posters of Melody asking if they've seen this child.

While ordering, workers asked if we've seen this child.

Is the whole world looking for Melody?

"Why does everyone know about Melody missing?" I asked Ross as we sat.

"Laura, this is California. The news about Melody has gone on for about one month. If a man is drunk, the whole country would know about it in one day. Trust me, they know."

I looked down for a while, then Ross spoke again.

"On the upside, since everyone knows about Melody, they'll easily call the police and we'd hear news about her right away."

"D-Do you think the media will leak the fact that we had Melody with us?" I had to ask.

"Miranda is the only person who knows, and I know she won't tell anyone."

I smiled, but it soon faded. "Maia knows too..." I said in a faint whisper.

"She's in jail. She can't leak anything in there."

Our order came and there was almost no talking during brunch. Mostly because we were really hungry and there was more chewing than talking.

When we were done, Ross suggested we to back home. I suggested we continue the search for Melody.

Guess who won?

Moi.

(Moi - French word for "Me," pronounced, "Mwah.")

We kept on driving and driving until we reached the traffic light.

"Laura- You can't ignore Vanessa forever," said Ross.

"Ross, it's only been one day; not even one day, just- hours."

He sighed again, "Okay..."

Five minutes into the drive after the traffic light and his phone rang.

"Hello?.... Yeah, she's with me.... Yeah, we did.... I will, thanks.... Bye."

"And who was that?" I asked, already knowing who it was.

"Umm... Vanessa. She wanted to make sure you're with me and that you've eaten already."

I had nothing to say.

"Laura, she's really sorry..." Ross spoke again.

"Try keeping a secret from her for 17 years and pretend that a sorry will forgive everything."

One hour later, still nothing, still driving.

Two hours later, still nothing, still driving.

Three hours later, it was the late afternoon.

"Do you wanna go home now?" My boyfriend asked for the millionth time.

And for the first time in forever, I said yes. But- not happy about my answer. I just agreed because I knew how tired Ross was by asking me the same question over and over.

We reached home and I unlocked the door myself with my keys.

Riker was in the kitchen, still no sign of Vanessa.

"Hey Laura," he said.

"Hi," I simply replied, then marched upstairs and shut the door in my room.

Ross' POV

"I'm sorry about her attitude," I apologized as I shut the door and came across Riker.

"It's fine. Vanessa told me what happened. I got mad at her myself," My brother said back.

"Got mad? Dude, does Vanessa literally have no one on her side but me?" I raised my voice a little.

"She kept a secret from Laura for 17 years Ross. It was wrong of her."

"Well can't you at least support your girlfriend?!"

"Why? You're not supporting yours!"

"I'm trying to make things better, not worse!"

"I'M TRYING TO TELL VANESSA WHAT'S WRONG AND WHAT'S RIGHT!"

"WELL YOURE NOT DOING THE RIGHT THING WHEN YOURE JUST MAKING HER FEEL BAD!"

"YOU WANNA HELP VANESSA?! FINE. HAVE FUN."

Riker suddenly dropped everything in his hands and stomped upstairs, making a beeline for my room.

"That's the way to my room Riker!" I yelled.

"I know! Maybe Laura needs someone on her side too!" He yelled back, then walked inside the room.