Chapter 34 - Up To You

"Kristine, are you crazy? What kind of mother wants her daughter dead?" I was shocked by Kristine's choice of words. She doesn't deserve Melody; she doesn't deserve any kid.

"Look it's a long story... I-I can't take care of a child with all this stress, I-I can't take care of anybody. I couldn't give her up for adoption, not at this age," Kristine explained.

"So you decided to kill her instead?"

"It's not technically killing her..."

"But she's gonna end up dying either way."

"Okay, maybe I didn't think this through-"

"Kristine. What kind of a mother are you?" My face was boiling. I couldn't imagine anyone doing this. I didn't even imagine myself saying that question. I believed every mother loved their own children. But Kristine... She's just another story.

"Laura I'm sorry, okay? I just-"

"Don't even explain anything. I can't believe you're my sister. You are definitely not a Marano, and the worst part is, I actually thought you were family. Well let me tell you this. The Maranoes, including the Lynches, would never hurt a hair on a child."

"Ehem," Miranda fake coughed behind me.

"Including Miranda," I added. Then I turned to her, "Wait, you're a police. You kinda have to hurt people a bit."

"Yeah but not a child," she laughed.

"Oh, right," I laughed too.

"Guys, hello? Back to the situation?" Rydel brought us back.

"Kristine, I'm pretty sure you are not welcome in the house anymore. Might as well leave," Ross said.

"Dr. John, are you still offering that free surgery?" I turned to the doctor who is just listening to the argument.

I keep glancing at Melody and she's just sitting on the bed, watching the conversation. Did she hear any of this? Does she now know that her own mother wanted her to die? For once, I'm thankful she's isolated.

"Of course," Dr. John replied.

I looked back at Kristine. "I'm not gonna help you anymore. I've only been in Melody's life for about a month, but she's still my niece, and I still love her. I wanted to pay for her surgery, but now I know they're offering one to you that's free. It's your choice wether you want to save your own daughter or not. Besides, we need to go check on Riker now. Guys, c'mon," I called to the others and walked out the door, with Ross behind me first. Followed by Rydel and Miranda.

Miranda closed the door behind her, leaving Kristine, Melody, and Dr. John inside.

There wasn't much talking during the walk back to Riker's room. I was walking ahead with the others behind.

Miranda eventually had to go to talk to the doctors like she wanted to.

"Laura honey, how did it go?" Stormie walked towards me when I entered the room.

I glanced over at Riker first to see that he was awake.

"Um," I tried to stop myself from crying. "Not so good."

"What happened?" Rocky asked.

"What's going on?" Riker asked too.

Then Ross and Rydel came in.

"What did you guys do to Laura?" Ellington jumped out of his seat, formed a gun with his hands and pointed it back and forth at Ross and Rydel, making me laugh.

"They didn't do anything," I smiled because of Ratliff. "It was Kristine, actually."

"What did Kristine do? What happened anyway?" Riker was curious and had that goody face.

I laughed again, but because of Riker this time. "You're awake," I ran and hugged him in bed.

"Yeah," he smiled back. "Now, wanna explain what happened?"

"Well..." I hesitated. "We found Melody."

"You did?"

"Yep... And we found out she had brain cancer and still does..."

I continued explaining the rest of the story, and at the end, everyone was shocked.

"Why would Kristine do that? Even if she was having a hard time, it's not right to let a child die like that," Stormie said.

"I know..."

"What are you gonna do?" Rocky asked me.

"I let Kristine choose. She was either gonna let Melody live, or let Melody die."

-

Important Question😋

'Since We Went Wrong,' is the sequel to 'Everything Has Changed,' and it's most probably the last sequel there will be.

So when this fanfic ends, do you guys want me to write a new FanFiction, or stop writing? 👀