Chapter 33 - Why?

Laura's POV

We waited just a few more minutes until the same nurse came back.

"The doctors said you may see the child," she said. "And they apologize for not calling the hospital once they found Melody."

"An apology? From you?" Miranda asked.

"No ma'am, from the doctors. I am just here to deliver the message."

"Well, after I see Melody, I would like to speak to the doctors myself. It is wrong in fact that they are being too terrified to come here and talk to me themselves."

"I'll have to tell them that you would like to talk to them-"

"No," Miranda stopped her. "It is not a choice, it is an order."

The nurse nodded and walked away.

"Thanks Miranda," I smiled.

"Eh, no probs," she laughed.

I love how she's such a good friend, but gets down to business when she has to.

We were in front of Melody's room at the time. We all looked at each other before going in; for some reason, I don't really know why.

"Mommy!" I hear Melody scream once I walked in. I looked back at her and she was basically glancing back at me and Kristine. She probably noticed her real mom was here. And I also noticed that Melody wasn't alone in the room. That stupid doctor was here too.

"Miss Marano, hi," he said.

"Don't try to be friendly with me now Mr.," I said. "Now, we would like to see Melody again, please."

"Well you're looking at her," he joked.

"This is not a joking matter, Dr..." Miranda glanced at his name tag. "John."

"Of course not ma'am, I apologize..."

"We would like Melody out of the glass room," Rydel spoke.

"I'm afraid she's in quarantine, Miss Lynch."

"Okay seriously?" I got pissed. "What kind of a doctor are you and why do you even work here? Brain Cancer is not contagious, she should not even be in quarantine!"

"We're just making sure, Miss Marano."

"I love how you're suddenly nice to me when an officer is here by my side," I said sarcastically.

He didn't say anything. He just went back to doing papers.

"Let Melody out, would you?" Ross demanded.

Why is Kristine being so quiet...?

I leaned over to Miranda to whisper, "Why didn't Kristine do anything when she finally saw her own daughter?"

"I don't know..." She whispered back.

"Mommy!" Melody called out again. Only this time, she wasn't referring to me, she was referring to Kristine.

"Hi angel," Kristine managed to smile. But her voice was so quiet, I could barely hear. That means Mel can't hear her either.

"Kristine? Kristine Marano?" Dr. John came out of the silence.

"Hi- Dr. John," Kristine replied.

Everyone in the room was so confused.

"You know each other?" I asked.

"I should've known this baby looked familiar!" Dr. John ignored me.

"Uh, yeah... I figured you remembered," Kristine ignored me too.

"Why didn't you ever answer any of my calls? I kept wanting to check on Melody."

"I uh... I didn't have the time."

"The time? Kristine, now there's barely a chance of saving her."

"I know, but-"

"WHAT'S GOING ON?" Miranda wanted an answer too.

"Oh, Kristine came to the hospital months ago when we found out Melody had brain cancer. I offered her a free surgery for Melody's healing since I knew she didn't have any money, but she never called back."

And everyone's eyes widened, staring at Kristine.

"Kristine... You lied... You said you didn't have the money to save Melody!" I yelled.

"I didn't! But then..."

"He offered you a free surgery to save your daughter! Why didn't you take it?! Did you want Melody to die?!"

"Well... I just-" Kristine was running out of excuses. "Fine. I may have... sort of wanted Melody to die..."