Chapter 20 - Relatives

Laura's POV

"L-Laura, keeping a child and lying to the police about having her is a huge criminal offense," said Miranda.

I looked back at Ross, as if I was asking him for help. But he had the same look as me. Scared. Shocked. Clueless.

"Look, I don't wanna keep you in jail and-" Miranda stood closer, whispering, "And I can't keep this a secret either. If I get caught, I lose my job." She sits back down.

"If Melody's parents died, you now know that she has another relative. By custody, she has to live with us. I'm her aunt. So there's a way that she's still rightfully ours," I said.

"As much as I would love to give Melody to you, the child normally goes to her grandparents or uncles and aunts."

"I am her aunt-"

"Her real aunt. Not a half one."

I looked down for a while. She does have a point about that.

"But what if we battle for custody once she's found? Melody loves it at our home, she'll definitely stay with us."

"Well... I guess that will work. But we've never met the grandparents or uncles or aunts of Melody's father's side."

"If you wanna know about Kristine. Here. Her only parents are my dad and Maia's mom. Trust me, they don't have another kid that's theirs. Maia's mother has two more kids. Maia and her brother. But that is with Maia's father. Not with mine. So from Maia's mom's side, Kristine has no relatives except for half ones. My dad has two more kids too. Me, and my sister. But only with my mom, and not Maia's. So finalizing, Kristine has no more relatives other than half ones. And Melody's grandparents? They're both dead. But just on her dad's side."

"Okay... If we- don't find any other relatives on Kristine's husband's side, Melody can stay with you."

A huge smile crossed my face and so did Ross. I just jumped up and hugged him.

"And if you like, we did research on Kristine's husband. There's information about him on the screen right now," Miranda said.

Ross and I quickly ran to the back of the front desk and looked at Miranda's computer.

Full name: Anthony Mitchell Skye

Age: 21

•Married to Kristine Jane Marano

•Has one child named Melody Marie Skye

Relatives: unknown

"UNKNOWN?!" We both said.

"Oh yes... That's how we didn't know that you were Kristine's sister and the rest of the story behind her. The information said "unknown" for the relatives of Kristine too," said Miranda.

"So... That's it right? Melody's ours once you find her?" Ross asked.

"It's not that easy... The police, in this case, have to investigate about Anthony's relatives. They were going to on Kristine, but now we have all we need to know," she looked at me. "Thank you Laura."

I nodded as a sign of 'you're welcome'.

"But, if you write your phone number here, we'll give you a call once we know something." Miranda pulled out a paper and pen and slid it closer to us.

I wrote down Ross' number and mine.

"Thank you so much Miranda-" I was about to continue, but Ross said something.

"Wait- Does this mean that neither of us go to jail?" He asked.

"Well, that depends. We can't take you in because once we find Melody, and if what you say is true, then she'll be hurt if she sees you in jail. And eventually, run away again. And, if Anthony's parents remain unknown, the only place to keep her is with Maia, which is impossible, with you, or at a foster home. But since it's impossible with Maia, the choice is either with you or the foster home. And trust me, I wouldn't want to said a child to a foster home."

We nodded. "We wouldn't either."

"So, I am keeping you away from jail. You're both safe."

"Oh thank you so much," I said thankfully.

"It is not a problem," Miranda smiled.

"But, shouldn't you talk to the head about this? Like, your boss or something?" Ross asked.

Miranda just smiled again, "Ross... I am the head, and I am their boss."

"Ohhh... Okay then, thanks!" He laughed.

And we both walked out.

A/N

The choice is yours you guys! I want the story to go according to you so, do you want Ross and Laura to keep Melody or not? :)