Chapter 32 - Apologies

Laura's POV

"I'm surprised you guys didn't come after me," I said to Ross and Rydel when I reached back to the hospital.

They were sitting in the lobby, waiting for me. I guess...

"Yeah well, we knew we couldn't hold you back," Rydel joked.

There was silence for a while. Dead silence.

"Did you talk to Kristine?" Ross finally asked.

"I did. And I can't believe what kind of a mother she is."

"What do you mean?"

"She knew Melody had the cancer, but she didn't save her because she didn't have the money to. And I told her to at least try, and she kept saying that she didn't have the money, so then I said I would."

"We're paying for Melody's operation?" Ross asked again.

"You don't have to if you don't want to. I have the money to do it," I said.

"So, you're saving Melody?" Delly clarified.

"Yes. And I'm doing it now."

I walked towards the elevator, feeling Ross and Rydel follow me. Once the doors opened, I got in, and touched the button labeled 6.

"Why isn't Kristine at least trying to save Melody?" Rydel asked.

"I don't know. All I know is that Melody was right about now wanting to come home to a family like that."

"What was Kristine's husband's job?"

"Worked for a Zoo, I think. Can't believe I tried to defend her this whole time."

"You're completely against Kristine now, aren't you?"

"Not completely. Just because she's not doing anything for the health of her daughter. That's what made me against her; a bit."

The doors opened and I walked out to the front desk.

"Na-" The nurse that stopped us before was obviously going to ask for our names.

"Laura Marano, Ross and Rydel Lynch. Yeah, we've met. And we're here to see Melody Marie Skye," I said. Making sure to make Marie stand out because they always say Maria.

"I'm afraid Miss Skye is not available to be seen right now. Even by a family member," said the nurse.

"No, but I'm pretty sure you'll let a member of the highly represented police officers through," a familiar voice said behind us.

Ross, Rydel and I both turned around to find Miranda behind us. Miranda, along with Kristine.

"Miranda! You're here!" A smile grew across my face. "Why'd you bring her though?" I referred to Kristine. That kinda came out mean...

"She's Melody's mother after all. She needs to be here," Miranda said.

I just nodded once.

"Well?" Miranda came back to the nurse. "Your job was in fact to call the police if you see the child, and that is what you did not do. If you would like to be refrained from being punished, then I suggest you allow us to see Melody."

Damn, Miranda's good.

"I will talk to the doctors," the nurse said, looking scared, and walked away.

"Laura-" I felt Kristine touch my shoulder, so I turned around. "I'm really sor-"

I held my palm in front of her to stop. "People have been apologizing to me a lot, Kristine. Of course I forgive them. Even if they have done something wrong many... many times," I glared over at Ross and he hid behind Rydel. "But that just had me thinking that I'm being too nice; accepting too many apologies, when sometimes, they don't even deserve to be accepted. And the fact that you could've killed your own daughter, without even trying to heal her, that is something difficult to accept. Maybe Vanessa was right about you, maybe she wasn't. But I am not accepting any apology until you prove that you deserve an acceptance."

Ross, Rydel, and Miranda and blinked their eyes a couple times at me.

"You sounded seriously like a princess when you said that," Ross joked.

I gave him a look.

"Not the time Ross... Not the time," he said to himself.