Chapter 48 - Happy Endings

This is most likely the last chapter (: I'm not sure yet though.

-

Riker's POV

I walk back into the hospital, making a turn for the operation room. Ross and Laura are sitting next to each other in the waiting area. Laura has her hands wrapped around his, and her head against his shoulder.

She immediately sees me, and her head rises up but she doesn't leave her chair.

I shake my head at her, knowing she would understand what I meant by it. Laura nods slowly and smiles, mouthing thank you.

Dr. Ari comes out from behind the door and glances at me. "Oh perfect. Just in time." She walks closer to me. "Made your decision?"

"Yup," I say. "Vanessa."

Even though Laura said that she'd be fine without her sister, I know it's a lie. We both want the same thing, and that's Vanessa.

Of course, I'd feel guilty for killing a little girl but... It's either her, or my girlfriend. And I pick my girlfriend.

"Alright," the doctor smiles. "We'll get to work." She turns and walks back into the room, and I notice a small red light stuck on the door turned on, meaning the room is being used.

I feel a tap on my shoulder, sending the thought of the light away, and turn around to see Laura.

"I guess my lying skills are that bad, huh?" She asks with a bit of a chuckle, moving a hand through her hair.

"Nah. But I did know that you wanted your sister more than anything," I smile.

Laur smiles back, but then it fades. "A-Are you sad to see your first once go, though?"

I look down, thinking about how the way she said it made me feel. "Yeah, I guess. But, it hurts more to lose Vanessa."

Another smile crosses her cheeks, and her arms wrap around me in a hug.

•••

"And then she ended up going higher up the Ferris wheel, and Four was so scared because of his fear of heights and he was like, 'Are you even human?'" Vanessa explains a scene from Divergent.

She woke up an hour ago, not even remembering anything that happened before and started saying silly things. I wonder if she even knows that she was pregnant.

Ross, Laura, Rocky, Ryland, Rydel, Ellington, and my parents sit around the room in wherever they can sit and laugh at whatever Vanessa says.

There are stitches across her stomach, which is being covered by a hospital gown. Dr. Ari did tell us that Vanessa would somehow go weird like she doesn't even know her life.

"Oh my gosh!" Vanessa suddenly yells.

Everyone's wide-mouth-smile fades and glances worriedly at her, even me.

"What is it?" I ask.

Her eyes grow wide and she starts breathing heavily. "What if Hazel died instead of Augustus?"

We all sigh and shake our heads and chuckle at the same time. I don't know when this'll wear off on Vanessa but, she's fun to watch this way.

"Riker, can you pass me Ansel Elgort?" Nessa speaks again.

"You do know I'm right here, right?"

"Yeah, but I want Ansel Elgort!"

I laugh and everyone does too. I look around at our freaky bunch. Sure, Maia hasn't been captured yet, and we don't have our old home but, we're together. And... it's nice this way.

Ross and Laura laughing together.

Vanessa and I joking around.

Ratliff whispering something to Rydel, making her giggle.

Rocky and Ryland playing random things.

And Mom and Dad staring at me, smiling.

And I smile back.

Sooner or later, Vanessa will come back to life and I'll have to explain this whole thing to her. But for now, she's still cracking jokes.

"Riker! Riker!" She says.

"No, I'm not giving you Ansel Elgort."