Chapter 24 - Alive

I sat there in awe. Vanessa would be the last person I expect to cut herself. That is- if she really did do it.

"Vanessa... Talk to me, please," I begged when she didn't say anything and kept looking down, holding her arm to cover the red lines.

Finally, she lifted her head up. "Y-yes. I did them- after Laura found out about Kristine."

"Vanessa, you didn't have too, you weren't wrong from protecting her."

"I hurt her, Ross. I hurt her so badly and that's the last thing I would want to do. And now because of me, she never even met Kristine or talked to her, and she never will."

There was silence for a minute. As much as I want to support Vanessa, she was right about this point.

"But, Melody never said that Kristine was dead, I mean- She said her father was killed but her mom was just taken away."

"And so? If Maia and Ramy held Kristine hostage, the police would've found her inside Maia's house when they went to arrest her."

Again, I couldn't argue with that point.

"Okayyy... What if they hid Kristine somewhere else?"

"Then the police would've made Maia say where they kept her."

I stood up and held out my hand, "Come on," I said.

"What?" She was confused.

"We're going back to jail, and we're asking Miranda and Maia more questions about Kristine."

"Wait, who's Miranda?"

"You'll see, let's just go."

"And won't this be the 2nd time you're going today?"

"Vanessa," I looked at her as if telling her she should stop asking questions.

"Okay, okay." Vanessa took my hand and we walked out the door towards the car, driving to our city jail.

Riker's POV

"What do you wanna do for today? You know, so you can forget about the whole Kristine thing," I asked Laura.

"Riker, it's already late in the afternoon. It's dark out," Laura laughed a bit.

"Yeah, but the sun isn't completely down. It's sunset in fact. Perfect for the beach," I said.

"Is this your way of telling me that you want to go to the beach?" She smiled.

"Not swimming of course, just taking a walk maybe?"

Laura smiled again, "I would love to."

We headed downstairs and decided to walk to the beach instead. But as we walked out, I noticed Ross' car was missing. Did he go out with Vanessa too?

I tried to ignore the fact because Laura didn't seem to notice the car missing. I just know that if she did notice, there would be that jealousy feeling inside of her since her and Ross aren't fighting like Vanessa and I.

"What's wrong?" She asked me after 5 minutes when I didn't talk much. We're already close to the beach, and I could already hear the ocean.

"It's nothing," I lied, but Laura knows I am.

"Riker, if there's anything bothering you, you could talk to me. You did help me after all," she said.

I still didn't answer.

"Riker, really," she said again. Holding on to my arm, looking up at me.

"Laura, if it's anything that I need help with, you'll be the first I'll go to, okay?"

Laura nodded, "Okay."

Ross' POV

"Back again?" Miranda asked when I walked in, Vanessa behind me. "We still got no news about Melody, if that's why you're here."

"Nope, not that. We're here for Kristine," I said.

"Kristine, huh?" She said, about to pull out her notepad when she looked up at Vanessa. "Oh wow. You're Vanessa Marano!"

Vanessa smiled, "Yep."

"I love Switched At Birth, it's my favorite show. You are very good at acting."

"Thank you."

"Oh, Vanessa, this is Miranda," I introduced.

"It's nice to meet you," says Vanessa.

"Wonderful to meet you," Miranda said back. Then looked back at me, "Where's Laura?"

Vanessa and I looked at each other, "Umm... At home," I said. "She was tired so, I brought Vanessa instead."

"Okay then."

Miranda scrolled through her notepad. "Hmm... Our latest news about Kristine was from yesterday."

"What was that news?" I asked.

"That they still haven't found her."

"Found her? I-I thought she was dead."

"Yes, we thought so too. But then Maia said that they kept Kristine at the life house, by the beach. The police went to search, but didn't find her there. So that means she ran away."

"Ran away? You mean she's-"

"Alive? Yes."