Chapter 43 - Questions, No Answers

Laura's POV

It was a Saturday night when both Riker and I were released from the hospital. The doctor said I'm doing fine, and so was my best friend.

Currently in the car ride, Vanessa drove with Riker in the passenger seat, Ross, Rydel and I in the back seat, and Ellington, Rocky, and Ryland in the other three seats behind us.

I was the meat in a sandwich between Ross and Rydel on the seats.

As the night fell darker, I kept my fingers locked with Ross', my head leaning against his shoulder.

"You doing okay?" He asked.

I nodded against him.

That was a lie. I already felt a tear drop down, just thinking about what happened to me. Getting the image of the whole crime scene again. It was the day I could've lost my life, the day I could've left behind everything I had.

Gently, I felt a finger brush my tear away. I looked up to find Ross staring at me.

"You know, you're doing great," he said.

I felt another tear and quickly brushed it away with the sleeve of my sweater. "It's just hard. To think that- I could've died that day."

"But you didn't. That's what matters." His grip on my hand became tighter as he leaned his head against mine. "I don't know what I would do without you. If you really did die that day, I would've killed myself."

I sat up straight and gave him a face. "You wouldn't do that."

"Heck yeah I would."

"What would happen to your career? R5? Austin & Ally?"

He kept his gaze out the window. "For R5, they have Ryland. For Austin & Ally, I'd quit." Then he looked at me and smiled a bit. "You really think I'd be able to work with another Ally?"

I smiled back. "The same way I wouldn't be able to work with another Austin."

He leaned in and kissed me and pulled away a few seconds later after Rydel said, "Awww!"

"Ew," Rocky teased from the back and Ross and I laughed.

"You two are too cute! Here, smile!" She pulled out her phone and pointed the camera towards us.

I made a funny face, and so did Ross.

After a quick click and a flash, I blinked a couple of times from the blinding light.

"How strong are the flashes of those things?" Ross asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Ask Steve Jobs," Ellington laughed.

Ross glanced over to the back and clenched a fist. "I am gonna smack the everything out of you."

Everyone in the car laughed.

Vanessa looked at the read view mirror and smiled at our freaky bunch. "It's nice to see us all happy again."

"It always is," Riker agreed and rested his hand on top of Vanessa's.

I felt myself heat up at the sight of the cute couple.

But then the happiness was sent packing, and thoughts and more thoughts came back. What happened to Kristine? What happened to Melody? Will Maia come back?

All these questions, and yet I have no answers.