Chapter 47 - I Know

Riker's POV

"Wha- What do you mean I have to choose? Can't we just donate blood?" I shout, and everyone in the room is now looking, and I'm pretty sure it's not because the famous stars of Austin & Ally and the bass player of R5 is here.

"Sir, no one has enough blood to donate that much to your wife," Dr. Ari says.

"Well then get more people!" I look around the room repeatedly.

The doctor suddenly holds my shoulder, making me look at her.

"Riker," she starts. "We need you to make the decision." Then she glances down, as if considering something. "I'll give you ten minutes, it's the most amount of time we could give you."

And with that, she walks back inside the room. My gaze goes to the people around the waiting room, still staring. And then at Ross and Laura, both having an apologetic face.

My best friend then stands up and walks towards me, keeping a gentle hand on my arm. "You wanna talk outside?"

I nod.

She takes us towards the door and gives Ross a little touch on his shoulder as we pass him, saying that we'll be back in a while.

Once we reach outside, we sit on the nearest park bench.

"What's on your mind?" Laura asks me.

"That I should choose Vanessa," I say, without any hesitation. She was the first thought that came to mind.

Laur looks down. "I was thinking you'd say that. But here's the thing. I love my sister, and I love her to death. But you also deserve a chance to get to know your first daughter."

I stare at her. "Okay, you have a point. But there could be more kids on the way, right?"

"Well, think about it. How would it be like... if you and Vanessa had another child in the future. You look at her, and you wonder how this one would've looked like. How this one would've behaved. And every time you look at your other daughter, or son, you think of the one you lost."

"You're actually okay with losing your sister? Laura, she's the only family you have left."

"No she's not. I still have you, and Ross and the rest of your family."

"I can't raise a child on my own."

"You won't be. We'll be helping you."

"Yeah but Laura think about this. I don't want to see you lose another family member, you lost your mom and dad already, I-"

"Riker, I'm not thinking about me. I'm thinking about you. I'm thinking about how... your daughter would look exactly like Vanessa, that even if I lost my sister, I still have her to look at. And since she'll still have the same bloodline of a Marano, she'll be my family too," Laura explains.

I think of all she said, and she's right.

She unlocks her phone and checks at the time. "You still have four more minutes," Laura looks at me and shuts her phone. "I'll leave you here to think by yourself. But- but I'll support whatever decision you make."

Her hand brushes against my shoulders, and leaves.

I sit alone at a park bench, with four minutes to think.

If I choose Vanessa, we could have another child. But how do I know it's safe for her? That this won't happen again and that I'll lose her and the baby? Although what Laura said, I know that she couldn't lose another family member. But she's right that this child will still have the Marano blood, and she'll also be her family.

If I choose the child, she would remind me a lot of Vanessa. And, I won't have to take care of her alone... There will be people there to help me.

That's it, I know who I wanna choose.