Chapter 17 - Secrets Revealed

Laura's POV

It's been one week since Melody left, one horrible week.

No cops have knocked on our door, and neither has one blonde little girl with light blue eyes.

I miss her.

We all miss her.

But everyone thought that letting her go was for the best.

If Ross and I went to jail, it would be horrible for publicity and our careers would be ruined.

We wanted to go around and look for her, but Mark and Stormie suggested that everything happens for a reason.

Meeting a little girl who brought Ross and I closer happened for a reason.

Then losing her happened for a reason too.

And what's that reason suppose to be?

That Ross and I are gonna drop far apart again?

That he could go back to Maia soon enough?

I loved Melody.

I don't care if it was only a few weeks with her. She is still special to me and she always will be.

Then, a thought occurred to me.

Melody lost her parents, and I lost Melody.

Was Maia up to this the way she was up to Melody's parent's death?

Well then... There's only one way to find out.

It was midnight, and Ross was sleeping next to me. I got up and took out a piece of paper and wrote down a quick note in case he woke up.

Gone out for a while. I'll be fine, don't worry :) -L

I left the note taped on the door and quickly changed into a pair of jeans, a blouse, and a coat. I grabbed my purse, and walked out of the house.

I walked, and walked all the way to jail. I honestly didn't mind how far it was, I needed to talk to Maia.

The view of the jail from a few minutes away was nothing. Just a plain gray building, with a huge backyard, very few windows, and a huge sign that says, 'Pleasant Hills Jail.'

Not so pleasant after all.

There were two guards holding guns at the front gate. I walked up to them.

"I'm here to see Ms. Maia Mitchell," I said.

"Please hold," one of the guards held a stare and talked into the intercom.

"Is Ms. Maia Mitchell there?" He talked into the mic.

"Asleep, but she's here," a voice replied.

"Is there a problem ma'am?" The guard turned back to me.

"I just need to talk to her," I said back.

"Ma'am, it is awfully late at night."

"I know. But I need to talk to her. It's urgent."

They sighed. "ID please."

I gave him my ID. You needed to be 18 and above to enter into jail.

The guard gestured me to go inside and the other opened the door. I went in.

There was a woman sitting on a desk right at the front.

"May I help you, Ms. Marano?" The lady asked, the same voice as the one that talked into the intercom.

"How do you know my name?" I asked as well.

"Well, it's not that hard when you're on my daughter's favorite TV show," she laughed.

She's nice. "Oh, thank you," I said. "I'm uh- I'm here to see Ms. Maia Mitchell."

"Ah, you're the one that wanted to see her. She's really a bad role model to be on Disney Channel. Eh, my daughter never really liked Teen Beach Movie anyway," she slightly laughed again.

I smiled, "Well, can I see her?"

"Of course."

I looked at the lady's name tag.

Miranda

Now I know her name.

Miranda leaned towards another intercom and said, "Bring out Maia Mitchell to Station 3 please."

She then turned to me, "Come, I'll take you to her."

Miranda lead me to a plain room with many chairs and windows separated with a board. Each stall containing an intercom of its own and a number. Miranda instructed me to sit under the number 3.

There were more people there, it wasn't just me.

Station 5 and 1 were occupied.

As I sat, I saw two police officers through the window, each holding one of Maia's arms. She was wearing a pair of plain orange pants and a plain orange shirt. They looked like they had a texture of a Nurse's outfit. She then sat in front of me, and pressed the microphone button.

"Are you happy now? You finally got what you want and see me like this," she said.

I pressed the microphone button too. "That's not why I came here," I said.

"Then what?" She asked.

"I want to know about Melody."

"That stupid little girl whose parents Ramy and I killed? Yeah, it was worth it."

"Maia, I'm not here to fight."

"Then what do you even want to know?"

"Why did you do it? Why did you kill her parents?"

"That girl's parents needed to be killed. As much as yours needed to too."

"DONT EVEN TALK ABOUT MY PARENTS ANYMORE MAIA," I screamed. Everyone looked at me. "I GET IT. YOU HATE ME AND I TOOK AWAY SOMETHING YOU LOVE SO YOU HAD TO KILL SOMETHING I LOVED. I GET IT OKAY? I DIDNT COME FOR MY PARENTS. I CAME FOR MELODY. NOW TELL ME WHY YOU KILLED HER PARENTS."

"MELODY'S MOTHER WAS YOUR OTHER SISTER, LAURA. OR DID YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT HER YET?"

My eyes widened, I sat back down on the chair.

"W-What are you talking about?" I grew quiet.

She laughed, "Kristine Jane Marano. You think I was against you all this time because of Ross? No. Ross was just my cover. So that you wouldn't find out the real reason. But now that we're both here, maybe you should know. Your father isn't all you think he is. I was five. I didn't know where I was and eventually, I was lost. The only place I saw around the corner was a bar. There was no one guarding the door, and the door itself was open. I was actually able to get in. Inside, I saw your father, drinking. And my mother was there too. Soon enough, after a year, my mom and dad divorced. Why? Because my mother cheated on my dad with your father. They slept together. Then, your long lost sister came. My mom, dad and I were the happiest family. And if it wasn't for your father we would've still been!"

I was shocked by that story. But I couldn't believe her. I couldn't. "I don't believe you. My father doesn't drink."

"Don't believe me huh? Well then why don't you ask Vanessa. She knows too."