Chapter 9 Kagome's Future and the Conference

"Well, now that the paternity has been established we can go on with the custody papers," Pepper said, "If what Tony told me is accurate you would like for Kagome to stay here and get to know her father, is that correct, Mrs. Higurashi?"

"Yes, Ms. Potts that is correct, but of course that is if Kagome wants to stay. Kagome, dear, I leave the decision up to you. Do you want to stay here and get to know your father, or come home?"

Kagome thought for a moment, She was happy to know that Tony was her father and she was looking forward to getting to know him. But if she were to stay, she would be staying alone. Souta still had school and her mother couldn't leave Grandpa alone. So she would be here with a total stranger. She looked over at her parents, her mother gave her an encouraging smile and her father had a hopeful look in his eyes. Why shouldn't she stay with him on her own, it's not like it would be any weirder situations she wasa traveling in the past.

With her decision made she turned to face the adults, "Yes, I would like to stay with Tony."

Tony beamed at her and let out a little squeak in victory. Pepper rolled her eyes. Nodoka thought it was endearing.

"Alright then here are the custody papers, they say that you and Tony have joint custody of Kagome and that she will be staying with Tony, until she is 18 years old. At which time, she can decide to return home or remain with Tony. If you both agree then I need you to sign at the bottom."

Tony and Nodoka agreed and signed, Pepper took the paper and put it in her brief case, "I'll take this over to the legal department and have it expidited. Now, Kagome, I need to know if you are going to go by Higurashi or take your father's last name." Pepper said.

Kagome wrung her hands, the guilt of wanting to use her father's last name was eating her alive, she looked at her mother.

She smiled sadly, "Kagome, I know what you are thinking and I can tell you that Toshi wouldn't be the least bit offended if you decided to go by your father's last name."

Kagome had tears in her eyes, "You sure Daddy wouldn't mind?"

Hearing his daughter call another man daddy was like a kick in the stomach, he swore that he would earn her trust and that one day she would call him that.

"Yes, dear, I'm sure of it." Nodoka tells her daughter.

"In that case, Ms. Potts, I would like to go by Tony's last name."

"Then we need to make the changes to your birth certificate."

"Oh that won't be necessary, Pep, I'm on her birth certificate as her father," He walked over to the table where he had left it last night, and showed it to Pepper, "See."

Pepper choked up when she saw Kagome's birth certificate. She new that Tony's mother meant a lot to him and she knew that Kagome having Maria's name as her middle name must have pleased him greatly.

Pepper cleared her throat, "Good, since Tony is your father, Kagome, you may claim your citizenship through him."

Kagome, nodded.

"Alright, I'll get that started and also get you a social security card. The last thing we need to discuss is how to introduce Kagome to the press."

Kagome took a step back, "The press, I have to meet the press?"

"Yes, Kagome, it would be best that we have a press conference to introduce you than they find out on their own."

"O-okay." Kagome stutters.

Don't worry, Kagome, I'll do all the talking you just stand next to me." Tony assured her.

"We need to have a story prepared, I think that it should be that Tony had alway know about Kagome and that he provided for her though he hardly ever had a chance to see her."