Chap 1: Daniel, Jordan, Jake, Dinah?

I wake up in my bed covered with empty beer cans and bottles. Ugh. Yesterday my friends came over to visit with packs of beers in their hands.

I remove the bed sheet from my body as my feet meet the cold, cracked floor. I rub my eyes tensely, not looking where I'm walking. Before I could reach the door my body collides with another figure.

"What the fuck Kristen, watch where you're going next time!" Hunter snaps at me as he takes another sip of his drink.

I roll my eyes. He always acts obnoxious whenever he's drunk. Even if it's just the little things. "Stop drinking and go home," I tell him.

His eyes burn bright red. "What are you my mother?" he chuckles, ignoring what I just said.

"Hunter, come on. If Mrs. Goodman finds a drunk teenager in my room, you're gonna get reported to the cops, and I'll get grounded, AGAIN!" I raise my voice at the last part.

A smirk grows on his face. "Relax, babe,"

"Ugh!!" I say, giving myself a facepalm.

Suddenly, a knock appears at the door. Please don't let it be Mrs. Goodman. "Kristen, it's Mrs. Goodman, may I come in?" She asks from the other side of the door.

Shit. "In a minute, I'm busy getting dressed," I yell back as I carefully drag Hunter out the window since the front entrance is occupied.

"Get your hands off me!" Hunter scowls, escaping out of my grip.

I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Is everything alright in there?" Mrs. Goodman asks.

"Yeah, I just spilled something. I'll be out once I clean it up," I say, turning my attention over to Hunter. "Fine, since you won't leave, you're hiding in the closet, come on," I direct him inside, shutting the door. "And you better keep your mouth shut,"

I open the door to my impatient and suspicious foster parent. "I thought you said you were getting dressed?" She points at my pajamas.

"Oh...um. Yeah, I forgot after I spilled a cup of water." I mutter. "So, why'd you come to talk to me?" I change the subject.

She shakes her head. "Well first off I wanted to say happy birthday. I can't believe you're already fifteen." She says, engulfing me in an endless hug. I uncomfortably repel from her arms and signal her to continue. "And five lovely boys just adopted you,"

The second those words left her mouth, I was left speechless. Did I really get adopted? Or was this all just a joke?

"I suggest you start packing now." She insists. "The boys and I will be waiting outside for you in the waiting room," she smiles.

I blink my eyes repeatedly making sure this wasn't a dream.

"And one more thing," she says. "Why are there empty cans and bottles scattered all over your bed?" she asks.

I open my mouth but no words came out. Instead, my hands deliberately slam the door shut in her face. I scrunch my face into a ball, regretting my previous actions.

"So you're getting adopted?" Hunter pops up in front of me.

My hearts stops as fear takes over me. I bring my hands to my chest. " You scared the shit out of me," I sigh in relief, seeing Hunter.

"ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION, KRISTEN," he suddenly got all demented.

"Yes," I tell him. "But I'll be back before you know it," I shrug as I pack my bags.

He gives me a glare. "Yeah, right," he scoffs, crawling out the window. Now he listens to me.

I make my way out the door and to the front of the building. I take a look around the room to look for Mrs. Goodman. The room was bare other than a curly haired boy sitting down with a phone in his hands. I walk up to him, asking if he knew where Mrs. Goodman was.

"Are you Kristen?" The boy asks me. I nod my head slowly in response. "Hi, I'm Jack, nice to meet you," he smiles, pulling me into a hug. What's with the hugs today?

"So you're adopting me?" I ask in confusion, judging that he still looks like a teenager.

"Yeah, pretty much,"

"I was told there were five of you," I say.

"Oh...they're inside with your foster parent signing some papers."

I nod my head, taking a seat beside him. He smiles at me as I smile back. An awkward silence fills up the room only to be broken by the march of Mrs. Goodman's footsteps.

"She's all yours," she says, leading three boys in my direction. They all run up to me, showering me with kisses and hugs.

Oh gosh, no, just no.

I roll myself into a ball covering my face with my hands and feet.

"Good job Jonah, you scared her," a boy says, slapping the boy next to him. I take a good glance at all four of them. Why do they all look so young?

"Aw, look how cute ya'll are together," Mrs. Goodman smiles with joy.

I clear my throat. "So are all four of you my brothers?"

"You can refer us to that if saying 'dad' is too weird," the boy sitting next to me says, putting air quotes around dad.

I make a face as Mrs. Goodman glares over at me motioning me to stop.

"Well I hope y'all have great a day and best wishes to your new family," she says, guiding us to the door. We all said our goodbyes, and walk over to a small black SUV. I hop in, taking a seat in the backseat, followed by the rest of them. Most of the car ride was fairly silent, besides from the chattering from the two boys in front of me.

"So Kristen, I heard today was your birthday. Happy birthday. How's it like being fifteen," the boy next to me asks.

I shrug. "Same as every other year," I frown, looking out the window.

The boy taps on my shoulder repeatedly until I turn around. " Since we have time, why don't we try to get to know each other a little better. I'll start us off, my name is Daniel, that's Corbyn and Jack," he explains, pointing to the pair of boys in front of us. " And that's Jonah, our chauffeur,"

I stare at him blankly trying to memorize each and one of their names. "To be honest, all I heard was Daniel, Jake, Jordan, and Dinah," I say embarrassingly. Judging by their faces and laughter, it's most likely incorrect. I was never good at remembering names, it took me nearly two days just to memorize Hunter's.

"Close enough," Daniel says, holding in a laugh.

"You're just happy because she actually got yours right," the boy with curly hair says, crossing his arms.

"At least you didn't receive a girl's name," the driver speaks up.

My cheeks burn bright red.

"Aww, she's blushing," the driver says, looking through his side rear mirror.

I quickly cover my face with my hands. "Dial down, Dinah," I fire back.

"That's your new nickname," Daniel says, chuckling as the car pulls into the driveway. "We're here!" he exclaims.

I hop out of the car, retrieving my bags from the back. I follow the four of them to the front door, Daniel unlocks it as I walk in. One foot in, and I can already smell the scent of popcorn.

"Here, I'll show you your room," a voice says. I follow him up the stairs, passing a few rooms until we arrive at mine own. "Sorry that it's so plain, we were planning to bring you shopping tomorrow for some new furniture and clothes," he smiles.

"You don't have to-" I start.

"It's no problem at all, you're family, and family always support each other," he cuts me off.

I sigh hearing those words. "Thanks...um-"

"Corbyn," he tells me. I was pretty close, Jordan, Corbyn, what's the difference? "So why don't you hang out in your room for a little bit, and we'll call you down when lunch is ready,"

I nod my head, as he exits the room, closing the door behind him.