Chapter 7: Perfomances and Crushes

I'm currently sitting down backstage, watching the boys do a quick soundcheck before their performance. I yawn, rubbing my eyeballs. I really wish I had a chance to sleep last night.

"So what'd you think, Kristen?" Corbyn asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Hm? Oh...um. It was good I guess." I say still half asleep, adjusting my sitting position.Why do I have to be here anyway? Couldn't have I stayed home with Logan, or possibly alone.

"Thanks for the positive feedback," Corbyn chuckles, sliding himself next to me. "Do you need anything? Food, or a beverage?"

I shake my head. "Nah I'm good, but do you happen to know where the bathrooms are?"

"Well Jack is sort of hogging the one backstage, so I think the nearest one should be around the entrance somewhere."

"That's such a long ass walk," I start to complain.

"Then I suggest you start walking now," Corbyn smiles, giving me a small pat on the back before reuniting with the rest of his bandmates.

I roll my eyes as I grumpily make my way to the restrooms. The walk itself took about ten minutes so I could've just waited for Jack instead of wasting my time and energy. Once I finish, I exit the bathroom's door to the water fountains. I take a small sip, turning around to crash into another human being.

"My bad," I say avoiding any eye contact, walking away.

"Wait, Kristen?" a deep voice calls.

I slowly turn around, noticing a familiar face. "Oh, hey um-C-uh-Ca-"

"Connor," he reminds me.

"Right," I begin to lose interest in the conversation.

"What are you doing here?" Connor asks, stepping closer to me. By now, we're about a few inches away from each other.

"Some Concert thing that's held here," I explain, taking a step back.

"Oh, that's cool. I never knew you were a fan." he says shocked.

"I'm not. I'm only here because of my guardians," I reply.

"Wait, so your guardians are fans of the performers?"

"No, they're the-actually you know what, yeah, they're huge fans," I lie. I'm way too exhausted and frustrated to continue on with this. "What about you?" I ask, switching the topic.

He looks at me, confused. "What about me?"

"Of why you're here."

"Ooh, a lot of reasons actually. My little sister is a huge fan of the band that's performing, my family loves water, and we have a coupon that expires today so-" he says, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

I nod my head. "I can relate."

He releases a small chuckle, looking down at his black duffle bag. "Oh, right. I have to go change," he tells me. "Maybe I'll see you around during the concert?"

"Yeah, right," I say before he goes off on his own. I do the same. I turn the other way, bumping into another person. Ugh, this is why I hate public places. I look up to see Jack smirking and Zach standing next to him with a frown. As usual. "What?" I snap.

"Kristy has a crush!" Jack shouts with excitement.

Oh god...

There's so many errors in that sentence. "No, I don't. You need to stop assuming stuff. It's just not your thing."

"Oh my gosh! You do! You're trying to hold back a smile!" Jack exposes, jumping up and down like a little schoolgirl.

I never thought I would say this but-Zach is the least annoying one. Well at least for now. "Will you shut up?"

"Bro, Zach. Why aren't you jumping with me?" Jack pouts, urging him to follow along.

Zach flings Jack's hand away, crossing his arms together. "Stop that, it's embarrassing," he says with his head down, annoyed.

Jack responds by rolling his eyes at him. "You're just jealous," he sticks his tongue out.

"Yeah, that's definitely it," Zach says sarcastically. "Come on, let's go. Show is in thirty."

Jack and I grant his command, following him back to the stage platform. Before we could, a certain voice catches mine and Jack's attention.

"Hey Kristen," I hear Connor call as he catches up with the rest of us. "Wow, I'm surprised your still here," Connor laughs.

"Yeah, me too," I laugh along, looking over in his direction. Just now I realize that he's wearing his swim trunks. My eyes light up, I couldn't help but stare a little.

No, Kristen, no

I shake my head, clearing my thoughts.

"Ahem," Jack fakes cough. "I'm Jack," he smiles, sticking his hand out for Connor to shake.

"Connor," he replies, taking Jack's hand in his.

"So long have you guys known each other?" Jack asks.

He shrugs. "Um, since Target, I guess."

"Huh? Oh, you're the cashier!" Jack says proudly like if he just solved a puzzle. "You look so different without the red shirt and the brown trousers,"

"Yeah, I get that a lot,"

"You like to swim?" Jack asks.

Connor shrugs once more. "It's alright. I wouldn't exactly consider it as one of my favorite activities. It's more known as a life skill."

"True, you do have a point. Hey, we're throwing a pool party at our house tomorrow. Do you maybe wanna come? Mostly for Kristen," Jack quickly adds the last part, pushing me closer to him.

"Um...I think he's busy," I cut in.

"Nope, schedule wide open for tomorrow," Connor corrects me as he exchanges numbers with Jack. "I better get going, you guys have a good one." Connor smiles before leaving me alone with Jack and Zach.

Zach hasn't said a word since Connor arrived. I wonder what's up with him? It's not just with him, he didn't say anything either during the car ride here. Not even a slip of an insult.

"Your welcome Kristen," Jack speaks, giving himself a pat on the back. I roll my eyes playfully.

Somewhere in the middle of the walk back, I spot Zach whispering something into Jack's ear. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but it's not like I could do anything about it. They were like four feet away from me. Once in awhile I would hear my name pop up, as well as Connors. Is this about tomorrow? Or something they're planning?

I shrug it off, pretending like I heard nothing. Once we reached the stage, the boys grabbed their microphones, ready for an incredible performance.