Epilogue: Part 2

Kristen's Pov

Kristen's Pov

"I don't understand," Daniel tells me. "How am I suppose to find Alice a birthday present by tomorrow."

Daniel and I are currently walking the streets of some busy mall that I don't happen to know the name of. "We just got here. Have some patience."

"What should start with first?" Daniel asks, looking around. "Shoes? Clothes?"

"You could but that's so plain. Think out of the box for once," I suggest.

He raises an eyebrow. "Did you get her that?"

"Yeah," I admit. "But that's not the point here. Let's check out that jewelry store over there. You can find a nice bracelet or necklace," I say.

"There's no way I can afford something from that place," Daniel says, causing me to frown and feel bad about myself.

"Do you need to take a look at your net worth again? Cause I can google it up right now just for you," I say sarcastically.

He lets out a small chuckle. "Alright, I'll take a look around."

"Thank you," I reply back. We both make our way over, noticing an oddly familiar figure. "Is that Zach?" I ask, recognizing the shirt that he left in today.

"I have no idea," Daniel replies. Right when he does, Zach gets down on one knee.

A gasp escapes my mouth. "What the hell is he doing?" I say in an angry tone.

"Uh...I-I-uh-have no idea," He says cluelessly, staring off into the distance. "Hey, look Macy is right around the corner. Let's go there."

Daniel attempts to drag me by the arm but I wouldn't budge. "What are you not telling me?" I ask him.

He didn't give me a direct answer. "Just looking for a present for my girlfriend."

"Stop playing dumb, it's not a pretty color on you," I say. "Do you know what that is?"

"I believe his name is Zach Herron."

I give myself a facepalm. "The girl," I spit.

"Oh, that is-uh-his younger sister," I can tell by Daniel's face he is lying. Plus, I have met her before.

"You know what, fine. Don't tell me." He still kept silent. I head to the other side of the mall where the bus stop was. In the process, I bump into an old friend. "C-Connor?" I manage to make out. He looked different from the time I saw at the restaurant. His hair is done and he is wearing colored clothing.

"Oh, hey," He says. "What are you doing here?"

"I came with a friend and I-uh lost him midway."

He nods his head. "Got it. Are you okay? You look upset." Connor says, noticing my dark frown.

I sniff my nose, "Yeah, you know how I am when it comes to public places."

"Yeah, but I feel like that's not the problem here, is it?" He asks. How can everyone just read right through me? Am I just becoming a terrible liar? "What's going on?"

"I don't want to bother you with my problems and I bet you have other things to worry about."

He shrugs his shoulder. "I'm a therapist, it's my profession to hear people's problems."

"You became a therapist?" I ask.

Connor nods his head, smiling. "If you're worried about me talking about it out of the this-opened area. That shouldn't be a problem. I have a degree in-"

"Yeah, that's not what I am worried about. Also, you realize that I'm twenty-five and not fifteen right?"

"Sorry."

I know he's just trying to be nice but honestly why? Why would he care about my problems? I haven't had an appropriate conversation with him in like ten years. "It's alright," I say. "I don't want to speak much of it but let's just say it's about an important relationship in my life. And it's not going as to how I thought it would."

A devilish grin appears at the edge of his lips. A shiver runs down my back as I take a step back just to be safe. He copies my motion. "I'm sorry to hear about that."

"Uh, yeah. I think I should get going. Thanks for the company," I try to say friendly but it didn't come out that way.

I didn't feel anything grab my hand or hear any footsteps behind which is good. How in the world does he cure children?

"Kristen," I hear Daniel call. "Where were you? I was looking all over for you. I also finally got a present for Alice."

"I was gone for ten minutes," I speak. "What did you get her?"

"A pin that Alice had laid her eyes on for months now. She's been wanting this for decades but she never had the courage to actually do it."

"That's great."

"Where were you?" Daniel asks, causing me to choke on my own saliva.

"Not important."

"If you say so." He replies, directing us back to the parking lot. He dropped us off at his place for a little bit. "Want a drink?"

I shake my head. "I'm good, thanks. Is Jack home?"

"I think so. He should be up in his room." He says. "Why?"

"Nothing important," I say again, stomping up the fight of stairs. I didn't bother to knock and head straight on in. "Hey, can I talk to you?"

He detaches his headphones from his ears. "I thought I locked the door."

I shrug my shoulders. "Sorry? You should really get a new door," I say. "But that's not why I'm here."

"Alright, what's up?" Jack asks, taking a sip of his soda.

"I saw Zach propose to a girl today." The liquid that rested in his voice ends up splashing all over his clean white carpets. I did not see that reaction coming. "Do you know something?"

Jack doesn't say a word, same as Daniel. What are they not telling me? "Forget it. I have to go," I tell him.

Before things can move on forward, Jack grabs my arm. "Kristen, wait."