Chap 23: Trust Fund Baby

Why is life so complicated and difficult? I thought I had settled everything out, but I don't think I do. I rest my head on my hand as I use the other to play with my food, using a fork. Maybe I could add another week to the original date I was planning to leave. Connor did say no longer than six weeks.

"Aren't you gonna eat?" Daniel asks, interrupting my thoughts and I nod my head, but inside I knew I wasn't. Not only did I not feel well but I'm also still full from lunch. I excuse myself up to my room with the full plate in my hands, just in case I get hungry later. The room was silent, so I filled it up with music from my playlist. Just then, two figures appear out of nowhere at the door.

I slightly jump up in fright before sighing in relief to see Jonah and Corbyn. "What?" I ask, turning down the music a little bit.

"What are you listening to?" Jonah asks out of curiosity.

"Jonas Brothers," I say.

"I never knew you were a fan," Corbyn says.

I wouldn't exactly consider myself a fan, but I do tend to listen to their music a lot. "I don't know. Anyways, what's up?"

"Nothing much, just came in to remind you that tour is in less than a week, so if you wanna do some last minute shopping for stuff, let us know," Jonah informs.

"Wait, what? What tour?" I question.

"The tour we've been talking about for like the past three weeks." I was still left confused, so Corbyn gave another detail. "Does the word invitation ring a bell?"

I shake my head. "Not really."

"We had a whole discussion about last week when we were at that cafe place, remember?" Jonah adds.

"When?"

"Like right after chatting with the restaurant manager's daughter," Jonah explains, but I was still clueless. I was most likely lost in my thoughts about the whole New York trip and all. While other times, I just zone out or draw some new sketches in my sketchpad.

"Oh, yeah." I lie, not wanting to go through the whole explanation process. "Remind me again when we're taking off?"

"Next Wednesday," Corbyn speaks.

"Oh, okay. Thanks for the heads up."

"Any time." They both nod their heads, making their way out of my room. Next Wednesday?!? That's the exact same day my flight is leaving. Just when I thought I could extend my decision time to two weeks, now I have less than one.

I groan loudly, falling backward until my head reaches the pillows when I hear a knock on the door. "It's open," I say and in came Zach with a guitar. What's with the guys coming in my room today? It's almost like everybody has their own little news to share with me. "What's with the guitar?"

Zach bites his lip and scratches the back of his neck shyly. "Well-um-remember the time where you helped me song write?" I nod slowly, not sure of where this conversation was going. "You didn't exactly get to hear the results and I thought maybe now should be the time."

"Okay?" I question, setting aside the sketchbook and the pencil in my hand. He takes a seat on the other side of the bed and begins strumming and singing along to his lyrics.

"I don't want a girl who gets a car for her sweet sixteen or spends a stack of dollar bills on a limousine. I want a girl who takes the bus and who wears baggy jeans. Rockin' Nike Airs, what the hell are Louboutins? Don't want no fake tan, short skirt, daddy's money don't work. Shop until you drop on the town. I want a smart girl, stronger than her father. Someone who will laugh and tryna fit in the crowd," Zach sings.

I hold in a smile that seems to be appearing on my face. "And all we used to dream about is getting rich and getting out. Move to the nicer part of town, where we'd have numbers on our house." I slightly dance to the rhythm, recognizing the familiar words. "It took a while to figure out. What type of girl that I'm about. Who brings the real man out of me."

My cheeks must be flaming red because I'm burning on the inside. I place my hand near my face, covering up any embarrassment. In the middle of his part, I caught a glimpse of him smirking and chuckling.

"I don't really want no trust fund baby, I like my women independent. And I say to people, "that's my lady" And-um-yeah, I think that was good enough." Zach stops, ending with the chorus I assume.

"Seriously, you're stopping it midway?" I scoff in annoyance. "It was good, well you know, before you cut it off short."

"My throat is a little sore from that small performance." he puts a hand on his throat while putting the guitar down.

I laugh, "If you can't go through one song, how are you going to survive a whole show?"

He shrugs, carelessly dropping his music sheets on the floor. Almost as it's on purpose. I scoot closer, leaning down to pick up his paper, him copying my motion. I look back up, locking with his brown eyes. I felt my body tremble at the speed of my heart rate. Our faces are so close, I can almost feel our lips brushing against each other. With that, I made the first move and pressed our lips together. The kiss was passionate and gentle. It felt different from the night that it almost happened with Connor. Nothing feels forced, uncomfortable, or awkward. It all felt natural.

The kiss broke when Jack interferes by busting through the doors, speaking of the devil. Due to our instincts, we both instantly pull away, casually going back to what we were doing beforehand. "Zach? What are you doing in here?"

"Giving Kristen a show preview," he says, picking up his music sheet and guitar. "I better hit the studio, you two have fun." Zach sends me a smile, causing me to smile like an idiot as well. What is he doing to me?

"So, why are you in here?" I question Jack.

"Daniel, Corbyn, Jonah, and I are playing what are the odds. And that basically explains it all, doesn't it?" I nod my head, as he exits the room, closing the door behind him. This time I make sure to lock the door, now for sure there won't be any further interruptions.

I sigh once more, flopping onto my bed, except this time it wasn't out of frustration. I thought about the lyrics that Zach sang. It felt as if he was directly telling me to go for it and be the person who I'm supposed to be. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do. One hundred percent guarantee.