Chap 5: Name Tags

Kristen's Pov

Kristen's Pov

Like every other morning, my alarm clock wakes me up from my slumber. I groggily rub my eyes and any drool that left my mouth. After my regular morning routine, I put on a black emo looking shirt with a pair of black ripped shorts. I didn't forget about picking up my eyelash curler, which I'm honestly shocked myself.

I grab the pair of keys and an apple before heading out the door. The ride wasn't very long since barely anyone drives on the freeway after eight. I step out of the car as I throw away the bitten apple in the trash.

Walking into the restaurant, the first thing that catches my eye is the baby in the stroller being guarded by his or her guardian. A man with dark brown hair comes out from the bathroom area and greets the kid hello. He looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Then it hit me. "Connor?" I question, taking a few steps further.

"Kristen? Wow, what are the odds that I would see you here." He says with sass, not even making eye contact with me.

This has been the weirdest week ever. I would have never thought of reuniting with Hunter and Connor all in one week. But Hunter does seem different. I hate to admit it, but he did change. He looks way happier now than he did before. Connor, on the other hand, looks different as well. Not really a good difference. His hair is new and he had piercings and tattoos all over his body. I turn back to face the baby.

"Is this yours?" I ask not trying to seem direct.

"Nope, Hunter's. I'm just here for our stupid annual family breakfast. We always meet on the first Monday every month. As you can see how I'm here now."

"Oh. That's-uh-um-"

"Yeah, yeah." He cuts off, "Why are you here?"

I question his tone of voice. What's up with him? "A friend of mine left something behind yesterday, so I'm just here to quickly retrieve it," I say.

"Well don't let me get in the way of that. You better hurry before someone else snatches it," Connor says coldly, before doing what he does best. Disappearing into the distance.

Hunter and Connor confuse me in ways I don't understand. I head to the front and briefly explained my situation. She searches through the closet behind the desk and hands me my curler and a black coat. "Excuse me but I don't think this is mine," I say, referring to the jacket.

"A young man left that on the table the same night with your eyelash curler. I figured you may want to take it as well." She smiles.

"Oh-um-thank you," I say, leaving the place with even more confusion. Hopping into the car, I check for a tag or some clues that gave me a name. So far nothing. Then I came across a small tag near the back with a name on it. My hands tremble unexpectedly, causing me to drop the coat. "Wait, what?" I didn't get a full glance, but I noticed something peculiar. Grabbing it as fast as I could, I reread it multiple times over and over again to make sure I'm not going insane. But soon a thought came to mind. It all makes sense. But what I don't understand is why Alice would try to keep it from me. Speaking of Alice, I should head home before she starts complaining about tardiness.

I know I should talk to Alice about this, but I don't us want to have a fuss on our break-I mean business trip. It sounds selfish but come on, we deserve a break that our bosses don't know about. I'll come clean to her eventually. One thing I'm sure of right now is that I'm keeping my mouth shut until the start of next week.