Chap 12: The Truth

By now, I'm all alone. No home, no friends, no family, and no money. I look around the neighborhood I'm walking in. Bakers street, the sign read. Again, this is the fifth time I've passed this street. In other words, I've been walking around in circles. Great, giving up, I sat on a nearby park bench. I sat for hours until someone approaches me. Someone I thought I would never see.

"What do you want?" I sniff, rocking myself back and forth to keep warmth.

He doesn't reply, he remains silent. I couldn't quite comprehend his game. Just then, he slides himself next to me, slipping his leather jacket off to gently place it on me.

I furrow my brows, questioning his actions. "Connor? What are you doing?"

Connor slowly turns in my direction, looking me dead in the eyes. "I was on my way to a friend's house and I-um-saw you walking around the neighborhood."

"But that was hours ago," I say. "Were you spying on me?" My voice raises, getting louder each word. "Can't you see that I'm not in the mood to be bothered."

"S-s-sorry," Connor mutters out.

"No, you're not. Why don't you do us both a favor and get the hell out of my sight," I point, signaling him to leave. Connor sighs, granting my order. Not even seconds have passed and guilt washes over me. "Wait, Connor!" I call. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap. It's just today's been like hell."

"It's fine, don't worry about it," he smiles, kicking some rocks with his shoe. "Do you-um-maybe wanna talk about it? I mean only if you're comfortable," He quickly adds, carefully picking out his words.

"I don't know, I just feel like the universe is trying to send me a message that I don't belong here. And before you say it's ridiculous, know that it's also true. Every family that adopted me, I always somehow get sent back."

"Is that what happened? They brought you back?"

"Well no, but," I gulp. "I overheard their manager saying something like my only purpose is for publicity, and since I went too far with his daughter, he's planning on bringing me back to the orphanage, I guess. And before they could talk to me, I left."

"Then, in that case, I still believe you have a chance."

My face lights up, amused by his words. "What do you mean?" I question.

"They haven't fully discussed the situation, and besides their manager was the one who said all about that crap, not them. If they were your true family, they would have your back, which I'm hundred percent sure they do," he tells me.

I hesitate for a moment. "Thanks, Connor, you're a great friend," I gush, engulfing into a short hug. I'm not a fan of them, but something about this one is different. "But my decision remains the same," I say, letting go.

"But, why?" he asks.

"Because I'm changing them, and not for the better. It's for the best if they and I part our ways. And that should include us too," I say, whispering the last part. Why is it so hard to say goodbye? Never in my life has it been this difficult. Even though we've only known each other for a good few weeks, I'm glad to have the experience. With that, I left, running off into the darkness.