Chap 20: Pancake Mix Consequences

By now, almost everything is back to normal. Zach and I have gotten closer to friends for the past few days and I somehow managed to control my emotions. The rest of the boys are hard at work creating their new album. And Jack is making pancakes for breakfast!

I'm starving, I ate nothing but a chocolate bar yesterday for dinner. Heading downstairs, I notice nothing on the table. It was completely empty.

My heart broke into a million of pieces. "W-what happened? W-where's the pancakes?" My voice cracks.

"We ran out of pancake mix," Jack says, "I'm gonna make a quick trip to the grocery store, wanna come with?"

I shrug, "Sure, why not." We walk out the door and into a car in the garage. I step out once we reach the store. To my surprise, we haven't encountered any screaming fans yet. "I'll go look for the mix over there." I point to another aisle nearby.

Looking from my right to left in search of the mix, I carelessly crash into another figure. I take a small peak upwards, seeing a familiar face. Oh, please no. "Hey, Kristen." I was too frightened to even look up and face the facts that it's Connor.

Eventually, I had the guts to greet back a hello. "Didn't-uh-expect to see you here."

"Well, it's not like it's the first time this has happened." Weirdly, this is like the third, fourth, or fifth time that we 'conveniently' saw each other out of the plain air. I honestly lost count. "So, how's it been? Been a while seen we've hung out." He crosses his arm, by that he was referring to the missed calls and texts.

I bite my tongue, holding back the words I wanted to say aloud. "Yeah, I've been pretty busy lately." I lie. I couldn't be any more free and bored than I am every single day.

"Really? What've you been up to?" That was one of the questions I was hoping to not get asked.

"Um...well you know, helping the guys out with their music and uh...designing some new pieces of clothing for fun." I say. It wasn't a completely a lie. I have been doing these two things lately, testing out different noises in the studio, song writing, and drawing out new designs. But it's not like I poured my heart and soul out into it. It's considered more as activities I did when I was bored.

"That sounds cool. Speaking of your fashion designing career, your work got selected." He says slowly, smiling after the last few words.

I couldn't believe it. "Shut up. Shut the fuck up." I tend to swear unexpectedly when I'm excited or angry. But I'm rarely ever excited so this is a first. I pull him into a hug, forgetting the history in the past. "Thanks again. So when do I start?"

"It's really your choice actually. My sister says between three to five weeks is good. No later than six weeks though. So if I were you I would suggest buying a plane ticket now."

I raise an eyebrow, begging that I misheard that or that the destination isn't too far away. "What do you mean by plane ticket? How far is the internship?"

"New York City? I would've told you sooner but you were-um-busy." Connor mocks, but not like in an insulting way. Or at least he attempted not to.

"What? But that's on the other side of the country. How can I afford housing and food? And why are you telling me all of this right now?" My voice raises by an octave or two.

"Don't worry, they'll take care of it."

"Kristen, there you are." Jack comes rushing over to me. "I've been looking all over for you. Good news I found the-" he pauses, seeing Connor. "Okay before you get all upset, I did not plan this." Jack clarifies.

I sigh, shaking my head roughly. "Yeah, yeah, I know. Well great pep talk, let's go Jack. See you around Connor." I rapidly say, speedily dragging Jack out of the grocery store. It's a good thing he already paid for the pancake mix, otherwise we would have to face some rocky consequences.