Chap 16: Atallia

It's about two or three in the afternoon and I got nothing better to do than sit out beside the pool staring off in the distance. The view of Los Angeles amazes me. Everything about it is so mesmerizing and soothing. I haven't experienced quite a silence like this in so long.

I exhale, running a hand through my messy brown curls as I use my other hand to adjust the sunglasses I'm wearing.

"Comfortable?" a voice ask. The figure's shadow walks right in front of me, blocking out the sun's light

I bring up my sunglasses to the top of my head to see Zach. "Well I was," I say with sass in my voice. "So what's up?"

"Nothing much, I mean besides from finishing the song," he says, with a sudden smile. "I feel so relieved," he chuckles lightly.

"I can tell," I play along. "What's next? Going out to celebrate on your success?"

He shrugs. "I don't know, maybe. But Jack wants to attend Aspen's party tonight."

"Is it her birthday? Cause I'm surely not surprised if she threw herself her own birthday party," I reply in a high pitch voice.

"Actually I think it's just for the fun of it. You should come, it's not as bad as you think it is," Zach tells me.

I really doubt that. But even if I did choose to go, I'm probably not even invited due to our differences. "I'll pass," I put back down my shades.

"Let me rephrase, you're going. We can't hire a babysitter last minute. Plus who knows, you might actually enjoy it."

I frown. "You're a horrible guardian, what parent forces a kid into attending a social event after past hours?"

"You're looking at him," He smiles widely, pointing his two thumbs at himself. I roll my eyes frustratedly. "Plus you don't have a curfew, and even if you did, it's not like you're gonna respect it."

He has a point, but not one good enough to convince me of going. "I don't need a babysitter, I'm only a year younger than you."

"Sorry, my decision is final," he says, making his way back inside the house. This is so unfair, is this some sort of punishment? Cause if it is, I've learned my lesson.

-

Here I am, at Aspen's house having the worst time of my life. I already lost everyone, since they all went their separate ways. I decided to walk around the house, but I didn't happen to find anything that caught my interest. So instead I went outside to explore.

I saw an empty porch bench. Why not, I thought to myself. I take a seat, wondering how much longer this will last. After a count of five minutes, I'm bored out of mind.

"Ugh," I groan out of boredom as I kicked a pillow off the bench.

"Hey, what did that pillow ever do to you?" someone asks me from the distance. It was dark so I couldn't eye out who it was. "Are you bored too?" A girl approaches me, who looks about the same age of Daniel and Jack.

"Yeah, what's your excuse?" I ask.

She laughs. "I just came home,"

Came home? Meaning she lives here? So she's a relative of Aspen? Oh, please tell me she's joking, cause I really don't want to deal with another Aspen.

"Quick question, do you happen to be related to Aspen?" I ask with hope in her answer that it'll be a no. She nods her head, and I grunt. "Great, just what I need."

"I'm sorry, is that a problem?" she asks nicely. It sounds fake. "Let me introduce myself, I'm Atallia."

I raise a brow. "Kristen?" I say unsurely. To come to shock, she wasn't all that bad. We spent the rest of the night talking about the most random topics. "Okay, how the hell did your parents not realize that you were gone for a night?"

"I honestly have no idea, but it's probably because they refuse to wear glasses." Atallia tells me as I laugh along. "What about you? Ever sneaked behind your parent's back?"

"Uh," I stammer. The laughter in me dials down swiftly. The idea of talking about my parents always bring me down. I pinch the bridge of my nose, to stop anything from happening. "Yeah, sure," I reply. At that moment, Atallia's phone dings, it was a text massage from her father.

"I have to go, my Dad needs me. It was nice to meet you Kristen, hope we can hang out sometime," she says, walking down the steps and into her car.

Weird, I say to myself. I have never gotten along with someone that quickly. But she was nice and we did seem to have a lot in common.

"Hey Kris, whatcha doing out here?" Daniel asks me from behind, sitting in the spot where Atallia sat.

"Just needed some air," I say, "I'm sorry did you call me Kris?" my face raises up.

"Yeah, Jack came up with it. Do you like it?" he asks me.

I shake my head roughly. "I really don't," I confirm. "I'll stick with Kristen."

"Whatever you say, anyways are you ready to go?"

"I've been ready," I reply with some attitude in my voice. I follow him to where the car was parked and start driving home. Once we reach home, I went straight up to my room, hopping onto the bed in sighs of relief.