Chap 13: Deadlines and Discovery

Zach's Pov

"We must discuss about Kristen," our manager says, putting down his briefcase on the coffee table.

"What about her?" Daniel asks.

"You know the agreement boys. We only adopted Kristen for publicity, not for drama with my daughter." He clears his throat, "I hate to say this but we have to let her go. End of discussion. If she is not gone by tomorrow night, I'll drop you. Good day boys."

I did not expect him to drop those words out of his mouth. The five us one, sat there, utterly shocked.

"But that isn't fair, Kristen didn't even do anything wrong," Daniel steps in, standing up for her case. "To all due respect sir, it seems like your daughter is stirring up drama, not Kristen."

"Excuse me?" our manager huffs. "How dare you speak of my daughter that way. I am this close to dropping all five of you," His face burns red, as he points his finger directly at all of us.

"You're the one who suggested adopting a kid, so we all went along with it. Even though we thought the idea was strange and idiotic. You do realize that we're only teenagers right?" Corbyn rants.

"I'm sorry, but we're not getting rid of her. Whether you like it or not," Jonah says. The expression on David's face is not pretty. He takes his suitcase and exits out the room without a word said.

"What the hell was that?" I turn to call them. "I can't believe you guys just did that! What were you thinking?"

"Us? What about you? Did you not hear a word he said?" Jack tells me.

I sigh, rubbing my neck. "Does it really matter at this point? Without him, we got no career, and without that, how can we afford to feed and provide clothing for her. Face it guys, we're not ready for this. I'm sorry but I have to agree with David on this one," I confess.

"Are you serious right now? I know you don't exactly approve of her, but how can you just let it all happen? Without even fighting back?" Corbyn tries to get me on board.

I lower my head, feeling a bit of disgrace and regret. "Sorry guys," I speak, walking into the kitchen to make myself dinner. I shove a frozen tray of ravioli into the microwave for about five minutes. Afterwards, I take it out, bringing it up to my room. I place it on the table as I grab an old guitar of mine. "Okay," I say to myself, strumming the strings. Fifteen minutes went by quickly and I still got nothing. The deadline for a new song is in two days and I got nothing written down other than a sauce stain. I exhale before continuing, but suddenly the bedroom door swings open.

"Zach, we got a problem," Daniel and Jonah say at the same time. A little freaky.

"For the last time, if Daniel double dipped the icing just go to the grocery store and buy some new ones. It's not that difficult." I roll my eyes, still making eye contact with the guitar.

"No, it's not that. Here." Jonah hands me a slip of paper, "Read it."

I take it from him, reading it in my head. Once my eyes reach the end, I froze, dropping the paper from my hands. "When did you find this?" I ask curiously.

"I don't know? Like a minute ago or less," Jonah tenses up, pacing back and forth before I stop him in advance.

"That's not gonna help in any particular way," I pause. "I think you both need to de-stress, especially you, dude," I face Jonah. "And secondly, she's a smart kid, she'll find her way around. If not, call the orphanage, there aren't many places she can stay," I suggest.

"Yeah, true. Come on, let's go." Daniel instructs me, and I make a questioning look.

"What? Now? It's almost eleven."

"Yeah, so?" Daniel asks.

"Nothing, nevermind. Just go without me." my voice weakens. They look both at each other then back at me. Jonah was about to say something but Daniel stops him. They exit the room. I let out a deep breathe looking out from my window. Out there, somewhere in Los Angeles stands a girl name Kristen, and I may just so happen to know where that is.