Chap 14: The Agreement

"Ugh," I groan, almost reaching my destination. At last, I finally arrive. I hop over the wooden fence before taking a seat on the grass. I sigh, bringing out a sketchpad, a pencil, and a flashlight since it's dark out. The view upfront is gleaming vividly, it almost seems unreal. I finish wrapping up a recent design I had in mind from days ago by adding some extra details. This happens to be the most typical day by far. As I shade in the finishing touches, I hear muffling footsteps from behind. The back of my hair stands up, but I respond by briskly striking my fist with the center of my backpack. "Go away," I screech like nails on a chalkboard.

"Afraid I can't do that," a familiar voice says. It can't be, it can't, I thought to myself. "I'm sorry, am I intruding?"

I rapidly rattle my head, thinking and hoping it's not him. "Go away," I repeat, but he continues to speak. Eventually, the shadowy dark figures sit down next to me, criss-cross. "Wait, Zach?" I question.

"Really? I searched and searched for you for the past three days and all I get is a hey?" he replies, out of breathe.

"Well I never asked for it," I hiss.

"I'm kidding, lighten up a bit," he chuckles softly, pressing his hand on my shoulder. "What's going on?"

I stick my lower lip in between my teeth as I simply remove his hand. "Nothing, why can't you leave me alone?" I fuss, looking away. "Did you guys not read my note? I told you all to drop it and to carry on with your lives." I pause. "But out of curiosity, why are you here and not the others?"

"Because they're dumb, they spent the past days calling different orphanages. And since you think out of the box, I figured that would be the last thing you would considered. So I've been looking over town. I even contacted that friend of yours, Scooter."

I laugh lightly. "First off, it's Hunter, but I mean, that works too," I laugh once more. "And two, you actually cared?" I say a bit shocked and stunned.

"When have I not?" Zach asks me as we both fall silent.

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Okay, fair enough," he chuckles. "I may have not been the best person you've met since the arrival, but that doesn't mean that I don't care. Maybe on the outside, I was cold-hearted and brutal but deep down inside, it's different. A good different," Zach pours out. "And I apologize for my behavior from before, I just wasn't exactly in the mood for company, if you haven't noticed."

I hold back a smile. "If you don't mind me asking, what caused you to act that way?" I ask with a gentle tone. Zach's smile breaks and his eyes tear up. "Oh, um, too far?" I regret asking.

He sniffs his nose and blinks repeatedly probably to get rid of the tears that were formed. "No, no. It's just an emotional topic for me since I haven't completely gotten over the relationship yet."

I knew it was a girl from the minute I witnessed the texts and calls. Must've been rough. "Are you alright?" I ask uncomfortably. I was never interested in talking about dating, and heartbreaks; it's all too cliche, repulsive, and a waste of time and effort.

He nods. "Yeah, don't worry about it. It's all in the past now." The moment was awkward, and I felt a bit bad.

"Well, I should go," I say, packing up my things.

"Wait, hold on. What's this?" Zach asks with sudden interest as he picks up my sketchpad. He flips through the pages and stops at a specific one. "I like your creations."

"Thanks?" I say more like a question. "Sorry, I'm just not use to hearing you shoot out complements."

"Yeah, me either," he stops. "Now do you want to tell me what's going on?"

I stand in the dark quietly, with my right knee bent. "I overheard your meeting with the manager. Specifically about you guys sending me back."

"Oh, shit," Zach cusses.

"Pathetic, since I was just warming up to all you," I let out a small laugh. "I should really go-" I turn the other way but a grip stops me.

"Just give me five minutes to explain it all. And if I still don't convince you stay, I'll leave you alone, and that includes the rest of us."

I sigh. The fact that Zach has gone this far just to talk to me explains a lot. "Proceed."

"To start, we were never planning to get rid of you," he says, making me smile on the inside. "Even though, I wasn't on that side to begin with," he mumbles to himself as I make a disturbed face. He was doing so well. "But-but, that doesn't matter at this point, does it?"

I clear my throat. "You tell me," I spit.

"Lets just forget I ever said that. We miss you Kristen, and weirdly I do too. It's boring not having to wake up to hear your complaints," he jokes.

"Zach, it's more than just that," I whine. "How do you feel living in a household, knowing your only purpose is for publicity and popularity?"

"Okay, how much did you hear?" Zach asks.

"Basically to that point."

Zach scoffs, half smiling. "So you didn't hear anything after that part?" I shake my head no. "You may be considered publicity to David, but to us, you're family. I mean it."

"Really?" I say coldly and in shock. "B-but what about your career? I don't want you guys to give it up for some silly orphan."

"We actually came up with compromise. As long as you live under our roof, you must be nicer to Aspen."

I roll my eyes. "I swear your manager must be blind as fuck."

"Also limit your curse words, would ya?"

"I'll keep that in mind," I say.

"So do we have an agreement?" Zach asks, pulling his hand out for me to shake. I take it, shaking firmly.

"Deal."