Chap 1: Greetings

Kristen's Pov

Kristen's Pov

The year 2024 is here. Scratch that, New Year's past two months ago. Being an adult is appalling and tense. Especially when I had school and work a few years ago. Along with working for Valencia Raquel, the program offered an education for interns under the age of eighteen. Before I got adopted by the five boys, I was ahead of all my classes in middle school. At that point, I was learning at a high school level. I continued school sophomore year. From there, I graduated from UCLA and majored in art and design. Now, Alice and I live in a two story apartment in Los Angeles.

My love life hasn't been exceptional. I haven't had a date in three years since Zach and I broke up. It's been forever since I saw his face. I miss him.

"Hey Krissy, wanna get some take out from in and out?" Alice interrupts my thoughts wandering into my room. "I'm starving."

"Yeah, sure. Just give me second to get dressed."

"Alright, I'll meet you in the car."

Walking into my closet, I changed into a black t-shirt and high waisted overall shorts. I brushed my hair back into a high ponytail. The worst thing about LA; it feels like summer everyday. I have to wear clothing that are exposing. It makes me feel like a prostitute. I went down to the parking lot to find Alice blasting her favorite band's new song, "Want You Back." It's annoying hearing it everyday.

"Turn it down!" I complain.

"My car, my music."

"Ugh, fine." I slouched down my chair and put in my own earbuds to drown out the horror. It was fine the first three times, but the radio- i mean Alice ruined it. By the time we enter the fast food restaurant there was a long line of hungry people eager to get their burgers. The stench of others reached my nose clogging my positive vibes. "I'll go find us a table."

"Okay, good luck with that."

I shrug, walking to the back of the room just in time for a family to leave a booth. Must be my lucky day. Some people consider a penny good luck, but for me it's finding a table at any burger place. Fact.

A table in front of me sits a full house. A father, a mother, five brothers, and a little sister. I haven't seen Jonah, Corbyn, Daniel, Jack, and Zach since they left for their world tour. Halfway through my thought it gets interrupted by the addicting scent of burgers. I'm itching for my order to come. "Screw long lines!"

All eyes laid on me. Did I say that out loud? "Shit!" The room falls silent. I did it again didn't I? By now everyone probably thinks I'm crazy. I can see the overprotective parents covering their kid's ears.They're gonna learn it eventually, why not let today be that day. It's never too young to learn cuss words.

Soon or later, everyone resumes back to their noisy selves. Thank goodness. I honestly don't know why I was the one who got called out. If anything, the table in front me is ten times louder than I was.

"Kristen?" A deep but yet familiar voice calls from the other side of the room. My body shudders just from hearing him say my name. I hear his footsteps getting closer and his breath getting louder.

The side of my lips quivers, revealing a sign of slight fear. I gulp down my saliva, inhaling air through my nose. As soon as the anxiety left my body, I could feel the old me taking over.  "Hunter," I reply bluntly.

"It's been awhile huh?" He allows himself to sit on the bench across. "So how's it been?" Hunter asks with a light smile. No smirk or grin, it was a natural smile. He sounded genuinely interested and happy.

I lift my eyebrow. "What?"

"Sorry was that too straight forward?" I noticed that his voice is lower than last time. Must've finally hit puberty.

"What?" I say but a bit louder this time. I earned a couple glares from the neighboring tables, but at this point that was the least of my problems. The way he's acting seems so sketchy and unreal. It's a trap. "Okay, what do you want? Revenge? Money? Deodorant?" I gag, flinging my hand in the air to get rid of that horrific odor.

He laughs, "No, no, and maybe. Sorry about that. Raising a kid does limit my time from going out, eating a decent meal and-um-showering."

Hold up?! What just came out of his mouth? A kid? "Woah? What? Slow down there. You're raising a kid?"

"I know what you're thinking, shocking. I had my doubts about Aubrey in the beginning too, but I'm glad she came into my life."

Is he joking right now? How can an arrogant person like him turn into a humble loving father. I still feel it's a trap. There's no way someone can change into a completely different person in seven years. Well at least not for Hunter. It's just impossible.

"Well look at the time. I better get going, it's my turn to feed Aubrey. It was great seeing you, maybe we can do this again sometime?"

I clear my throat, "Yeah-um-sure." With that, Hunter stands up, walking out the door. I'm still not sold on the idea of him being father. I do believe in the fact that he got a girl pregnant due to a one night stand, but not him feeling proud of the outcome. Wow, I am so considerate!