Chap 19: Yikes

Here I am again, alone with my thoughts for the millionth time this week. The whole Connor scenario already shattered my emotions, what is this gonna do to me now?

All week I've been trying my hardest to avoid Connor and Zach. Connor was simple, I just ignored most of his text messages, but Zach on the other hand was a challenge. Regularly, I would have Corbyn, Daniel, Jonah, or Jack bring me up breakfast and lunch, but other times I would sneak out to grab a snack or something. I know what I'm doing is ridiculous, but I would rather do that than face the both of them.

Earlier today in the morning, I overheard Zach and Corbyn talking about how they're hitting the studio around the afternoon. I look over at the clock which read 3:25. I'm pretty sure they're gone by now. But just in case, I open a slight creak, noticing that the hallways were empty. Thank goodness.

At that exact moment, another figure collides with me. Shit. "Agh, I'm Jack," I say the first thing that popped up in my head with my eyes shut tight. I make a face, thinking why would I name such a raw excuse.

"Relax, it's just me, Daniel. And by the way, you don't got the hair to be Jack."

I sigh in relief. Gosh. "Thank the lord. Also don't judge me, I was in a tight situation and that was the first excuse that I thought of, alright?"

He releases a short laugh. "If you say so. Anyways he isn't here, probably not coming back until like 5:30?"

I nod, "Got it, thanks. Is there any food in the fridge?"

"Yeah, we saved you a burger yesterday."

"Okay, thanks." I walk down the stairs into the kitchen finding a a white to go box. I can hear the sounds of stomach gurgle. I'm starving. I take a huge bite, savoring the taste.

"It's good huh?"

"Yeah." I turn around facing Zach. "Zach?" I spit. Daniel is gonna pay for this. "I thought you were at the studio?" 

He clears his throat, "I was and now I'm here," I bite my lip, looking down at the bitten burger. What was I suppose to say next? This conversation got awkward fast. "We need to talk."

"About?" I say as if I was oblivious to what he was talking about. He makes a serious face as I groan. "Continue."

"Listen, I clearly sent the wrong message last week but I would be lying if I denied what I said. I know it's out of line, especially what we're going through now, but I just have to let it all out. And it's alright if you don't feel the same way, I'll get over it."

He left me speechless. I don't know how I feel anymore. Just a minute ago I was trying my best to avoid this person and now suddenly my stomach is all tied up in a knot. "Zach, I-"

"Can we please start over like if nothing ever happened? It would be a lot easier that way." He interrupts me. Those words shattered me into a million pieces for some odd reason. Somewhere inside of me is screaming that I want something more than just a friendship. But it's not like anything of that matters anymore. It's over.

I force a smile, "Sure," Zach smiles, making his way up the stairs. I sigh, staring at the burger that's now squished and crushed in my hands.