Chap 3: Spending Grands

The very next morning, I was awakened by the sound of one of the boy's voices.

"Kristen, wake up," someone says gently, shaking me awake.

I groan as I open an eye, blinded by the bright light. "What's going on?" I ask, rubbing my eyeballs.

"Morning," the boy with light blonde hair speaks. I believe his name is Corbyn. "Just came to tell you that breakfast is ready."

"Oh, okay, thanks," I yawn still half asleep.

He chuckles. "Kristen, you need to go get ready."

"For what?" I say with a morning voice through the pillows.

"Remember what I told you yesterday?" he asks, looking at me.

I shrug, wishing he would leave the room. He didn't.

"That we would bring you shopping for some new furniture and clothes," he tries to refresh my memory. I glance at him with a blank expression on my face. Not gaining a clue. "I'll give you ten minutes to get ready," he says before leaving.

I groan as I detach my body from the soft mattress. I walk over to one of the drawers and sloppily slap on an outfit. I roll myself down the stairs, making my way to the dining table. I take a turn to the right and accidentally caught a glimpse of Zach sleeping. Aw, why can't he be like this when he's awake?

I shake my head to rid of the thought. Still half asleep, I thunder down the hall like a zombie. In the kitchen, Daniel greets me while setting down some plates on the table.

"This better be a good breakfast. I did not get waken up by Corbyn for nothing," I groan like a grumpy sailor, taking a seat on one of the empty chairs.

"Good morning to you too," Jonah mocks me, sliding a pancake onto my plate.

I take a small bite of the meal, swallowing it slowly. "Who made this? It's actually really good," I laugh, gobbling the rest of it in a blink of an eye.

Jack joins the conversation, "Your's truly."

"Damn Jack, you can cook," I compliment him.

He smiles uncontrollably. "You remember my name!" He shoots up with joy in his voice.

I remain silent, looking down at the empty stained plates.

"Simmer down, smiley pants, you're scaring her," Jonah says in a low tone.

"Make me, Dinah," Jack fires back, sticking out his tongue. I couldn't help but let out a small laugh. "See?" Jack says, looking at Jonah then at me.

Jonah rolls his eyes. "Whatever, can we just go now before I actually harm the boy?"

"That's child abuse, idiot," Jack says, laughing like a three-year-old as he takes a seat next to me.

"Not when your eighteen years old yourself, idiot," Jonah corrects him, snatching the pair of car keys off the kitchen counter.

I rest my head on my hands, wandering off into my own little world.

"Kristen, we're leaving now," Daniel informs me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I nod, following him out the door and into the backseat of a five-seater car. I sat in between Jack and Daniel, the worst road trip companions. They keep huddling over me talking about guy stuff that I don't find a bit amusing. It's like being trapped in a classroom, surrounded by a bunch of screaming kids. It gets worse. Out of nowhere, they both start tackling each other all because of a dumb disagreement. Luckily, the first stop is near the house, so it was a short trip.

I quickly escape out of the vehicle, trailing close behind Corbyn and Jonah. Grabbing a shopping cart, we all enter Target and grab the most useless items. Not even five minutes passed and the cart is filled with decorations, lights, and other pointless stuff.

"Don't you guys think you're going a bit overboard with this?" I ask.

They all give me a questioning look. "What do you mean?" Jack replies.

"For starters, I don't think buying sporting goods are really necessary, especially when I'm not a jock," I start. "And seriously? Pool noodles? For what occasion?" I say, glancing at the stuffed cart.

"We live in Los Angelos," Daniel speaks up. "Do I really need to explain more?"

He has a point. I shrug, heading to the checkout area. "Hi, how are you guys doing today?" the cashier smiles at me in a friendly way. In return, I exchange a glare and a face.

Corbyn nudges me in the elbow, smirking. "Don't be rude," he tells me. The cashier looked about my age, maybe a bit older. He has black hair and brown eyes. On his shirt, he wore a tag that read the name, Connor.

"So your total for today will be seven hundred forty-three dollars and fifty-two cents," the cashier says, taking Jonah's credit card.

My jaw drops, drooling over the three-digit number. That's worth more than my life right there. "Thank you guys for coming, and enjoy the rest of your day," he says as we walk towards the exits.

"I'll go grab the car," Jonah says, strolling the cart out.

"I'll come too," Daniel adds, leaving me alone with Jack and Corbyn.

The three of us decide to wait in Starbucks for Jonah and Daniel's arrival. As time passes, Jack needed to use the restroom, along with Corbyn. They both take a stand, walking to where the bathroom signs are hung. I stare out the window to see the full view of the parking lot, bored.

"Great view huh?" a familiar voice asks. I tilt my head to discover a boy sitting in front of me. The same boy from before, Connor.

I raise an eyebrow. "What are you doing here?" I ask sternly.

"Well you looked bored all by yourself so I decided to come over and keep you company," he says, running a hand through his quiffed hair.

"Thanks, but I'm good," I turn away to see Jack and Corbyn heading in my direction.

"You ready?" Jack asks me and I nod in response. "Aren't you gonna say goodbye to your friend?" he teases.

I roll my eyes, walking back to the table giving a swift wave before storming out the doors. I quickly spot the car and hop in. The rest of the day was spent wasting almost another grand on clothes that could last me for a lifetime.