Chap 19: Wherever You Are

Kristen's Pov

Kristen's Pov

Half asleep, I head back to bed only to get slapped with a pillow by Corbyn. "Ow, what the hell was that for?" Blowing the hair out of my face, Jonah draws a template of hangman.

"Okay, is Alice here?" Jonah whispers.

"What do you think? It's eight in the morning, where else can you find her? Sleeping on a table in a buffet?" I mock, slouching against the board of the bed. They deliver an uncomfortable looking glare. "Shower."

"Next time, lead with that," Corbyn replies.

I shrug, "What's going on?"

"Did I miss it?" Zach asks, barging in the door. I just notice now that the door is left unlocked. Jonah shakes his head. "Okay, good."

"Alright, someone needs to tell me what's going on here," Jack leans in closer and whispers the whole thing in my ear. "Hold up, you're trying to win Alice over with hangman?"

"You'll see," Jonah smiles sinisterly.

As they set up the whiteboard, Alice comes out utterly shocked. "Woah," she says caught off guard. "Why didn't you tell me you had company?"

"To be fair, they're here for you," I say as Jack hops next to me on the bed. He pulls out a deck of card and asks if I want to play war. "What about Alice?" I mumble.

"Do you really expect her to guess the answer in under five minutes?"

I suck on my teeth, hating how he knows her better than I do. "Shuffle."

Alice takes a seat on the edge of her side of the bed and stares at the whiteboard. "Why are you guys playing hangman?"

"We just love that game. Speaking of which, Alice why don't you join us?"

She shakes her head, "It's fine, I'm not really a fan of riddles."

"Great, what's your first letter?" Jonah cuts her off and removes the cap from the expo marker.

"Uh...a?" Jonah fills in the letter a on the twelfth slot. "B?"

"Nope," Corbyn says.

"C?" She requests losing a lot of interest in the game.

"Nope."

"D?"

At this point, I didn't even bother to watch. "You know, you don't have to follow the alphabet right?" Jonah informs.

I hear a grunt escape out of Alice's mouth. "Fine, f?"

"Nope," Corbyn says while looking down at his phone.

"Kristen help me out here?" Alice asks.

I place down a king as Jack does the same but with an Ace. "Why!" I cry at the top of my lungs unable to hear Alice's question.

"Y," she tells Jonah. He sighs in relief, putting down the letter on the ninth slot. "Thanks Kristen."

I look up around the room, "Huh?"

"E?"

Time passes and Jack was right. Twenty minutes in and she's stuck on the last letter. She ran out of chances five minutes ago but Jonah insist that she keeps going.

"I don't know? Y?" She says, laying on the bed.

"You already said that. There's literally only one letter left which is v," Corbyn points out, writing it on the board.

"Well, that wasn't a waste of our time," Alice says, getting out of the covers. "I'm going to comb my hair."

At that exact moment, a guitar strum fills the room. Jack and I stop playing and watch as Daniel appears out of nowhere with a guitar in his hands.

The song sounds familiar. It was stuck at the back of my head throughout the whole thing. Probably one of those songs from Alice's favorite band.

"Torn in two and I know I shouldn't tell you but I just can't stop thinking of you. Wherever you are. You. Wherever you are. Every night I almost called you just to say it always will be you." Daniel sings with the rhythm of his guitar.

I don't know much about music but one thing I'm sure of is that Alice looks impressed. Once in awhile I take the chance to glance over at Zach when Daniel sings the chorus. I don't even have an explanation for it, it was all instincts.

As the song came to a halt, everyone goes to surround them with claps and cheers. I stayed back but eventually got up to congratulate them. Why am I feeling like this again? I thought I got over it.

"Finally," Jack says, patting him on the back along with the rest of the boys.

"I hate to ruin this beautiful moment but how long were you hiding in that closet?" I ask Daniel. This question has been burning inside of me ever since he came out of there.

"Too long."

I laugh, faking a smile. "Don't you guys have a plane to catch?"

"Oh, yeah. We better getting," Jack says, rushing out the door.

Once they all exit the room, Alice stares at me with worried eyes. "What's wrong?" I ask.

"Should I be worried about dating a famous artist?"

I bring my hand up to her shoulder, "Sweetie, he's been single for the past six years. Trust me, that should be the least of your problems."