alfie solomons: long shift.

LONG SHIFT.

The overflow of workers in the factory today was causing you to weave your way through the endless queues of sweaty, hard working men. There was a large amount of booze being exported out of the bakery and Alfie had been stressing all day. His eyes were drooping as he yelled at men, his hand was rubbing over his rough beard more than usual and he hadn't breathed a word to you. His office was empty and you found yourself making your way up there, in an attempt to get some air. The once pinned hair was stuck to your forehead, the amount of heat that was in the bakery was ludicrous but it would be worth it one day. Alfie entered the office for the first time that day, his foot kicking some boxes as he murmured an infinite list of curse words to himself. You chuckled from his side of the desk. Your shoes were laid on the floor somewhere as you rested your legs on Alfie's desk. He jumped, not expecting to see you there, and gave you a soft smile as he pressed his lips against yours.

"Feel like I haven't seen ya in ages," Alfie whispered against your lips. He leant on the desk, his arms folded and closed his eyes. "Need to get some more of the lads to come in."

"We already have enough of em' in Alf, don't worry about it." You stood up and rested your hand on his torso, a grin on your face as he pulled you closer to him.

"No, we still av' so much more to do, my love. Gonna be a late one tonight.." His voice dawdled off as his eyes once again closed. You nudged him slightly and he sighed before heaving himself away from the desk.

"Why don't you go out there and whip them all into shape then. It's been a long time since we have just relaxed and had some times to ourselves," you said, your feet slipping back into your shoes. Alfie smiled softly when he noticed you grimace as the blisters rubbed against the back of the shoe. He was so lucky to have such a devoted wife, no-one else would put up with his shit. A 5am start and a 12pm end.

"Yeah, yeah, I will. I'll probably see you in another few hours then." Alfie gave you one last kiss before making his way out of the office. You stood around in there for a few minutes, giving yourself a little bit more time to relax, and listened to Alfie shouting at the boys. You muffled a laugh before you made your way back out.

After a few hours, things were calming down but everyone was still rushing round like flies as they checked over the final orders. Alfie patience was wearing thin, his feet was aching and all he wanted was a hot bath to relax him muscles but of course, one of the useless fuckers had to mess up the order. Luckily, it didn't take long to sort back out.

As much as you didn't want to bail on Alfie, there was no possible way that you could stay awake any longer. You were practically dragging yourself around the bakery, a pad and pencil in your hand as you made notes. Some of the men had noticed you dropping off and had offered you a cup of tea but you waved your hands in the air and slurred a few words, signalling for them to leave you alone. You quickly walked over to Alfie, noticing that he was alone and placed your hand on his shoulder. He turned around quickly and knocked you to your feet. There was no agony, more of a surprise, but the pain in your feet and the lack of sleep caused you to just sit there in silence as you stared ahead with no effort whatsoever.

"Oh my God," Alfie shouted as he leaned down to your height. His hand rubbed over your face, checking for any wounds. He placed his hands around your cheek, pulling you in for a kiss before placing his forehead on yours. It was apparent from his eyes that he was worried, and frightened that he had hurt you. "Are you okay, darling?"

"Alfie, don't worry." You attempted to stand up, but you fell back down and whimpered quietly to yourself but Alfie heard the innocent noise. His eyes widened, once again fearing that he had hurt you, but you waved your hands in front of him and sniggered. "You haven't hurt me, I promise. I'm just so tired." You wrapped your arms around Alfie's neck, pulling him back down to your height. You leant forward, your lips connecting with his. "Can I go home?"

"Why are you asking for my consent? Of course you can, love."

Alfie stood up, his hand extended for you to take, and pulled you back up. You fell into his chest and lazily placed your head on his chest, repeating the actions of early. He smiled down at you, his hand running through your hair. For a moment, it felt like it was just the two of you but the coughing of one of the workers pulled you out of the trance that Alfie had you in.

"Looks like they've realised that you aren't some tough man," you whispered in Alfie's ear, a chuckle leaving your body afterwards. You pulled away from Alfie, your hand running along his cheek as you walked away. Alfie looked around at the workers, slightly embarrassed that they had all seen him at his most vulnerable.

"Get back to work, ya fucking plonkers."

+++

It was gone midnight when Alfie rolled back into the house. He slumped against the wall, his shoes sliding off and then over to the sofa, where he sat down and rested his head on your shoulder. You both sat there in silence, not being able to sleep for some strange reason.

"I made a right fool of myself," Alfie spoke, grinning slightly. He wasn't fazed by it, not anymore, but it had been the first time that anyone had seen his like that. He kept his lovey-dovey side contained in the house that you and him shared, as soon as he left the front doors, the tough man act came out.

"No, it was sweet. I think it showed the rest of them that you cared for me."

"It's a good job they are scared of me otherwise I'd be the fucking workplace clown." Alfie rested his hand over your waist and dragged you further into him. "I need sleep, love. We have another busy day tomorrow."

"Another?" you sighed. "Can we not have the day off and just relax."

"No, I cant." He groaned. The thought of a day of sounded like heaven to him but there was work to be done.

"Alf, you're the boss. So, you get to choose what happens. C'mon, just one day." You raised your eyebrows, a pout on your lips and Alfie sighed, nodding his head.

"Just one day because if it's any longer than my business is going to' go down the drain."