50's/60's series - alfie solomons: cant help falling in love.

A SERIES OF IMAGINES FOR A PEAKY BLINDER CHARACTER THAT IS BASED ON A SONG FROM THE 50'S OR 60'S. 

[ SONG USED FOR THIS IMAGINE - CANT HELP FALLING IN LOVE BY ELVIS PRESLEY ]

FLASHBACKS ARE IN ITALICS.

Rumours and gossip about the notorious cockney criminal, Alfie Solomons, spread through London like wild fire when the news of his bakery became known to the community. The police department, too afraid to stop the man, allowed the activity to take place on London's turf and Alfie eventually a feared man who people often heard about when a killing happened on his side of the Thames.

Most people stayed away from Alfie Solomons, apart from those who had the courage to work for him in the bakery, and even went as far at to not attend the area where his illicit activities took place. Unlike most people, you were curious about what Alfie did on a day-to-day basis and fascinated by the empire he had built but like the rest of London's population, you stayed away.

It was on a Friday evening when you first met Alfie and a few of his employees, down a dodgy backstreet alley at a tavern that you frequently visited because of family connections. The drinks were low-priced, and the company of over-worked men was fairly decent once the drinks had started flowing. It was your uncle who owned the pub, a trustworthy man who had served for his country and stayed away from anything unlawful - at least that's what you believed. That night, you became aware of your uncle borrowing money from Alfie and how he was struggling to pay him back because of economic issues.

Positioned in the corner of the pub, you eavesdropped closely as Alfie's rough voice filled the small tavern, silencing everyone instantaneously. Your uncle stood behind the bar, frozen due to the fear and afraid to say anything in case he ended up at the bottom of the River Thames with a gaping hole in the back of his head.

"I think it's time for you to leave," you announced, shocking a few of the people who had entered the pub for a peaceful night. You saw your uncle shake his head, but you ignored the action and looked ahead at Alfie who was facing away from you.

"Yeah?" Alfie turned around slowly and smirked at you - a small but fierce woman in the corner of the room, hidden away from the drama with a frightful, but determined, look in her eyes. "And who the fuck are you t' tell me what t' do?"

You shrugged your shoulders before looking to the side, suddenly having the urge to avoid eye contact. "Nobody important. I just want to enjoy my night in peace without having t' listen to you ranting and raving about money all the bloody time." Slowly sitting back down, you finally looked back at Alfie who had a full of fun smirk on his face. "I'll have the money on your desk by Monday morning."

Alfie licked his lips and ran one of his hands across his beard before nodding. "I'll look forward t' seeing ya then. Don't let me down, lass."

+++

Alfie Solomons soon became your rock and you became his weakness.

The relationship that you and Alfie shared was a hidden secret and one that was kept closed until the dead of night when nobody was around. To the outside world, you were simply another one of his employees. Secret touches often happened throughout the day after Alfie had hired you as his secretary. Alfie did not need a new secretary, he just wanted an excuse to spend more time with you in the privacy of his office. When your parents had found out about your job, they were angry, even if Alfie was offering you a good weekly wage. They claimed that you were a fool, blinded by the life of a sparkly life of a gangster that was filled with money, fine dining and expensive clothing. Every time, you would shrug your shoulders and tell them that it was simply business, not pleasure.

"Does your uncle say owt about you working here, love?" Alfie asked one day as he sorted out some papers that you had placed on his desk. The business with Sabini was getting to his head, causing random out-bursts of anger but it was never directed towards you, only the men on the ground floor who seemed incompetent at doing their jobs.

"Not really, he is just happy that the debt has been paid. It is my mother who has the main issue, constantly talking bad about you and all that but." You stopped yourself with a shrug of your shoulders and walked over to Alfie's side of the desk where you slid yourself in between him and the wooden writing desk. "I'm not bothered in the slightest bit."

Alfie looked up at you with raised eyebrows, not believing a word that was coming from your mouth. Over the months of covertly meeting up, he had learnt to read you and figure out the little things that you did whenever you were annoyed, sad or frustrated.

"What would she say about us dating?" Alfie leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest. "I've never met your mother, but I can't imagine that she would be pleased."

"What would you do if your daughter came home and said that she was dating a criminal?" Your fingers trailed along the side of the desk as you looked down at the ground. "Both of my parents would disown me, and I would have nothing," you finally answered once Alfie had grunted at your previous question.

"You would have me. Isn't that lovely?"

"That's true," you admitted. "We haven't even got to that bridge yet so why are we already thinking about it? I just want to enjoy the time that we have together before everything turns to shit."

Alfie moved his hands to the back of your thighs, moving you down so you were straddling him. "Who said that things are going to turn to shit, love?" he asked with inquisitive and confused eyes.

"This is you, Alfie Solomons. When do things ever run smoothly?" you asked with a chuckle. "You are a sinful man and those sins that you have committed will follow you around for the rest of your life, one day they will catch up with you."

Alfie nodded, accepting the comment. "Are you willing to stick around during those times?"

You would be lying if you said that you hadn't thought about getting out of the relationship before it got to deep, meaning you would have a chance of a safe but boring life. After staying up most nights, you had decided that you didn't want to leave him and would pursue the relationship further, despite the risk of death and misery. Alfie Solomons was a corrupt man with more issues than anybody you had ever known. There was always going to be risks but like your mother had said, you were a fool.

"Of course," you replied with a smile, mirroring Alfie's own facial expression. "You can't help who you fall in love with, can ya?"