john shelby: on the docks.

ON THE DOCKS.

A loud, dramatic sigh left John's lips as he pulled out his pocket watch, rolling his eyes as he saw the time. The two of you had been stood there for nearly an hour already on watch, making sure that no coppers made their way down towards the dockyard to see if any unlawful activity was going on.

Your own body was pressed back against the cold, brick wall as you tried not to fall asleep. It was gone midnight; your eyes were dropping, and John's constant groaning was becoming exasperating, but you remained silent and permitted him to have his over-the-top rant about how much he detested Tommy. At the start of the night, John had believed that he would have been involved in the dangerous side of the work which was stealing the alcohol and holding the people on the boats ransom. Instead, he was stood on the side of the dock, occasionally throwing stones into the mucky water, with you. It could have been shoddier; but it could have been better.

"This could have been worse for you," he finally said, his voice low and quiet in case anyone was knocking around. John spun around to face and you and smirked, his full of fun attitude coming back out to play. "You could be stuck here with Arthur or even worse, Tommy."

You rolled your eyes before walking over to John. Once you were stood in front of him, you reached your hand into his coat pocket and pulled out the metal case that held the cigarettes and matches. John watched you with confusion before holding his hand out, signalling that he wanted one as well.

"At least Arthur and Tommy would talk to me," you replied as you walked back over to your previous spot. "I shouldn't have been dragged into this at all, you know. I only came around to tell you that I wouldn't be able to attend dinner at Polly's on Friday because I have work to do for school."

John huffed loudly before speaking. "I don't know why you bother with school. It's useless, the teachers aren't even half-decent, and you are doing all these exams and for what?"

At eighteen years old, you were determined to have a decent, better and stable future. Growing up in and around the poor streets of Birmingham, Small Heath was entertaining and full of games until you realised how toxic the city was. You had hopes and dreams, as did John once upon a time. That was until Tommy and Arthur, along with their crooked father, pitched the idea to start a family business that would be built on corruption and pain. It was the catalyst for the downfall in yours and John's relationship but after nearly a year, the two of you had managed to work your way through the rough times. John was adamant that the business would end up going far and you loved him dearly – it would have to work.

"I don't know why you bother with this business," you retorted with a raise one eyebrow. John chuckled, amused with comment which was partly true.

Deep down, he admired your hatred for the business. Most people would not dare say anything; especially as the Shelby name was becoming common around Small Heath for all the wrong reasons. John could understand your explanations for detesting the business and worrying that it would not succeed. It was a new business venture, something that would hopefully provide for the future. No-one knew if they would flourish but there was no point giving up.

"You like the bad boys," he said with a wink before turning back round to look at the mucky water. The two of you had given up on looking out for police officers and instead, remained focused on each other and the messed-up, loved-up relationship that you shared. "You would have left me a long time ago if you didn't."

"I also like boys with an education," you teased. John continued to remain silent as you sucked on the end of the cigarette, throwing it to the side once you had reached the worn-out, yellow filter. With swift movements, you made your way over to John who hadn't moved from his spot. It was rare to see John so in thought – mostly because his attention span was tremendously short. So, when you did see him think hard about something, you knew that it was serious. "You will do though," you whispered as leaned your head on his arm. "Succeed, that is. There's just something about this family, you know? Nothing ever brings you down or splits you apart for too long."

John's eyes shifted towards the concreate as he furrowed his eyebrows. "Have you been reading the newspaper lately?" John then chuckled before shoving you gently with his shoulder. "Of course, you've been reading the newspaper, this is you. I don't even know why I asked. Anyway, they write about a War, it's rapidly approaching apparently."

"Yes..." You trailed off and raised one eyebrow at John as you tried to figure out what he was going on about. "What about it, John?"

"I don't want to go," he admitted, his voice soft. "Don't want to leave you alone for a long time and I don't want to die." John looked down at you before wrapping on arm around your shoulder, dragging you into his warm body. "I try my hardest, you know that, don't you?"

Creasing your eyebrows, you moved so that you were stood in front of John. One of your hands reached up to touch his skin, the action making John look away in embarrassment. "What are you going on about?" you asked before fully wrapping your arm around his neck.

"Ignore me." John shrugged the problems off. No-one knew what was going to happen, it couldn't possibly be predicted. As the thoughts slowly stopped tainting his mind, a proud smile made its way onto John's lips as for the first time in a while, he felt content with the future and what it would hold. "This business is going to go somewhere, I promise. When it does, I am going to ask you to marry me."