tommy shelby: tension. (smut warning)

TENSION.

From the minute you entered the Shelby betting shop, you knew that the working day was going to drag, and arguments would happen – mostly between you and Tommy. You arrived earlier than usual, wanting to get everything ready for the day before the boys came in but as soon as you had stepped through the doors, you could hear the groans and loud shouting coming through Tommy's office. He was on the phone to someone and whoever the person was on the other side, you felt bad for them. Tommy was noticeably exhausted, his hair somewhat untidy and his eyes dropped as he pinched his lips. You struggled to get along with Tommy when he was more awake so getting on with him when he was in a bad mood and knackered would only end in a disaster.

"I don't give a fuck, alright? Just get those guns as far away as possible from here for the time being," he shouted, lowering his voice towards the end when he realised that people could be lurking around. The last time that he had checked, everyone was fast asleep and none of the employees had arrived early, so he was pretty sure that he was safe. "No-one knows about them yet, why is that so hard for you to understand? I don't want them down by the docks or anything. I need them out of sight until I can sort something out and get rid of this bastard inspector." Tommy groaned once more before slamming the phone back onto its handler and sitting back in his seat.

You didn't want to enter his office, knowing full well that you shouldn't have eavesdropped in on the telephone call and if Tommy found out that you knew about his undisclosed dealings, it would only end up with you being sacked from the job that you had grown to love over the last year. However, you had no choice but to enter the room where he sat. You stared down at the book in your hand filled with yesterday's numbers and debated leaving it and speaking to Polly about the mistake. She would be more understanding and would listen to your concerns while Tommy would just shut you down and tell you to get back to work.

"Are you just going to stand out there all day?" he asked, his voice loud. You jumped back, his question making you panic for a second. You looked at him through the office window and noticed a change in his attitude. A playful smirk was etched onto his face - he was only doing it to wind you up because that's what Tommy Shelby loved to do.

"I just wanted to run over these numbers with you because I think someone might have made a mistake," you said as you stepped inside of the office. Tommy extended his arm and you placed the book in his hand before stepping backwards and placing your hands behind your back. You couldn't help but appreciate how attractive he was, even at half-seven in the morning. "I think it was James that made the mistake. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was the first time, but he's done this multiple times and it's not as if they are small mistakes either," you said, silently cursing yourself when you had finished. It had not been your plan to piss off the boss, in fact the complete opposite.

"Are you questioning my staff's ability?" he asked, his voice low and husky. Tommy raised his eyes from the book to look at you and chuckled darkly at your uncomfortable posture.

"Not at all. I'm just saying that maybe you should have a word with him instead of letting him off for everything because he has been here for longer than some people," you remarked, your confidence bursting.

"Should we bring up the time that you made a mistake? No-one dobbed you in then, did they?"

"That's because it was one tiny mistake and it was sorted out immediately. I didn't mess up everything up like he continues to do," you argued. "Should we talk about the missing guns, Tommy?"

Tommy shut up instantly. He dragged his body from the under the table and walked around to your side of the desk, his feet stomping against the wooden floor. You had a hit a nerve and you feared what the penalties would be. You had only been working for Tommy for around a year and it wouldn't affect the company if you left but you needed this job, more than he would ever know.