50's/60's series - tommy shelby: nights in white satin.

A SERIES OF IMAGINES FOR A PEAKY BLINDER CHARACTER THAT IS BASED ON A SONG FROM THE 50'S OR 60'S.

[ SONG USED FOR THIS IMAGINE - NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN - MOODY BLUES ]  

When Tommy had first applied to travel over to France and fight for his country, he believed that leaving the woman that he loved would be the best thing to do. It would give you the chance to live your life to the fullest without having to worry about whether or not he would return home from the bleak and tedious trenches and tunnels.

Your heart had broken when he mumbled the words to you, too miserable to say them loudly. The look on his face told you that he didn't want to break up with you - the two of you had plans. There were conversations about getting married, having children and all of them were never going to happen now that he had made his choice. There wasn't going to be a future with Tommy know that he had made the choice to leave you with nothing but memories of the more contented times that you shared together before the World turned to corruption.

You had begged and pleaded with him, telling him that he had no right to decide your feelings and that you were willing to wait for him. Tommy shrugged off your comments and gave you a quick kiss on the forehead before leaving the bedroom that you shared together. He spent the following nights at Freddie's house, just so he could get away from you and not change his mind about the decision that was going to haunt him for the rest of his life, until the day arrived when all of the loved boys would leave for good.

Tommy didn't even want you there when he left on the train to head over the border and into the unknown country that he had only seen in books. Deciding to respect his wishes, you stayed back and Polly, Ada, Martha and Finn watched the three Shelby brother's leave. When they returned home, Polly was immediately soothing you with a never-ending amount of tea and sympathetic words but no matter how she tried, she couldn't stop the weeping.

The first few months were the hardest. You decided to stay at the house that you and Tommy had lived in until you had managed to get together enough money for you to move out. The bedroom that you and Tommy had spent endless nights in became your number one fear, it was hard enough to walk past the room without feeling the waterworks come on so you decided to keep yourself away from it and stay down the stairs on the settee where you could slumber without hearing the jubilant memories.

Polly had begged you to stay which was the first time that you had ever seen her beg. Over the years of you being with Tommy, since being only fourteen years old, you had become like a daughter to her and to see you heartbroken devastated her. Deep down, Polly knew that you leaving would be for the best as it meant that you could get over the damage that you were feeling but she was selfish and a part of her still believed that Tommy would return home from France and the two of you would be straight back in each other's arms.

After nearly a year of saving up money and helping with the business, the move down to London was complete and you were living happily in a small, but modest, one-bedroom flat that overlooked the Thames. You continued to write to Polly and get updates on how the boys were doing, specifically asking if Tommy was dead or alive in every letter. Polly had also been sending letters to Tommy and also a photograph. Tommy had kindly asked for Polly to send a photograph that would remind him of home and get him through the dark days. Hesitantly, she sent him a photograph of you and Tommy as teenagers that had been taken on a coastline down South. Polly feared what his reaction would be but Tommy replied with a thank you, refusing to comment anymore on the photo.

Tommy kept it close to his heart and every time he was in a treacherous situation, away from the trenches and alone in the tunnels, he would take the photograph out and mumble the lyrics to a song that you used to sing for him. He still loved you, more than anything, and he had to keep reminding himself that he did the right thing.