tommy shelby: fear.

FEAR.

From the minute you and Tommy had walked into the The Garrison, you knew something was up with him. Tommy couldn't stay concentrated for more than five minutes, his eyes wandering over to Grace's body as she served drinks to the punters. Jealously rushed through your body but you remained calm and collected on the outside as you all celebrated John's birthday. Still, every now and again, your eyes would shift away from the two drunken brothers and over to Tommy, his mind elsewhere.

"Are you alright?" you asked, slightly knocking your shoulder into Tommy's. He looked at you with confusion before blinking a few times and nodding his head. "Tired?"

"Yeah," he mumbled, his eyes once again returning to Grace's. She was stood behind the bar, reading a letter with intensity before looking over at the backroom. For a moment, you thought that there was some love affair going on and that Tommy no longer felt anything for you, but you were the love of his life, as he had often claimed, and you knew that he would never do anything to break your heart.

"Do you want to go home?" you asked, silently praying that he would say yes. At this point, you would have done anything if it meant getting away from Grace. The alcohol that you had drank, which was a lot, was only going to fuel your anger and jealously - the last thing you wanted was to argue with Tommy, especially when there was something serious going on his mind. To your dismay, Tommy shook his head and you felt disheartened but when he placed his hand over yours, everything felt right again. "I'm going to get another drink."

Tommy didn't answer but he watched your every move until you had arrived at the bar. You heaved yourself up onto the stool and waited patiently for someone to serve you. You hoped that it would be Harry, but he was nowhere in sight, leaving only Grace. She faked a smile and walked over to you, ignoring the dirty look that you were sending her way.

"Irish Whiskey," you said, no emotion in your voice whatsoever. Grace could sense the anger that was radiating from your body and your posture told her not to mess with you. "I'll have one for my husband as well, please," you muttered, emphasising on the word 'my'.

There was no denying that Grace was a beautiful woman and she was a breath of fresh air compared to some of the women in Small Heath. From what you knew, she had values and morals. It was no wonder Tommy was possibly attracted to her. It had been years since you and he had got together, maybe he was bored of the same thing.

"There you go," she said, her smile still plastered to her face.

You nodded your head before going back to the room where all the Shelby's where situated. John's loud laughter could be heard throughout the pub, along with Arthur making some inappropriate joke and Polly scolding them for being rude in front of young Finn. Tommy flashed you a quick smile as you sat down next to him, his hand returning to your own.

"What did you say to Grace?" he asked.

"Nothing," you responded. Tommy knew that you were annoyed from the way that you spoke, but he didn't press the matter any further.

+++

The two of you returned home just after one in the morning. Tommy had barely spoken a word to you on the journey back, but he remained close to your body, giving you some sort of signal that he still cared for you. You knew you was being stupid and insecure, Tommy would never cheat or leave you for another woman but as the years went by, and more people started to notice Tommy Shelby and his good looks, the insecurities and jealously became harder to ignore.

"What's been up with you tonight?" he asked, placing his coat on the dining room table. You could see the exhaustion in his eyes and all you wanted to do was take the worries away.

"You have some nerve, Tommy Shelby. You've been mardy since the minute we stepped inside of The Garrison," you responded, a hint of anger in your voice. Tommy sighed, he thought that you had gotten over your stress-head mood, but he was obviously wrong. The last thing he had wanted tonight was an argument but by the way things were heading, he knew it wouldn't be long before you started screaming and cursing.

"I didn't mean to be, I've just been caught up with business lately and it's took over our personal life. I'll make it up to you, I promise," he said, hoping it would calm you down. You rolled your eyes at him and made your way up to your shared bedroom, stomping your feet loudly against the stairs to prove a point. You wanted to burst out crying and lock yourself away, but you also wanted to sort this out and find out the truth, yet you feared asking in case he was sleeping with Grace, meaning you would have lost him forever.

Tommy groaned from his spot in the kitchen before following you up the stairs, sarcastically stomping his feet up the stairs to mock you. "Come on, tell me what's wrong," he said as soon as he had entered the bedroom. You stayed quiet by the mirror as you talk off your necklace and other items of jewellery that Tommy had brought you. "Have I done something?"

You looked at him through the mirror and shrugged your shoulders. "I don't know, you tell me."

"Just talk to me, okay?" He walked up behind you and placed his hands on your shoulders, running them up and down to relax you.

You took a deep breath and opened your mouth to speak but the words got stuck in your throat. Tommy raised one eyebrow and looked at you with concern. He could see your eyes welling up, so he grabbed your hand and led you over to the bed. "I'm scared to ask you in case it's true."

"Just do it please because you have me on edge right now."

"Are you sleeping with Grace?" you asked, the words rushing from your mouth at lightning speed. From Tommy's face, you knew that he had understood every word and after a moment of silence, he began to laugh loudly. "Why are you laughing?" you questioned, pushing your hand against his chest.

"Now, why would I be sleeping with her when I have you?" You scratched the back of your neck and looked down at the floor in embarrassment. "What made you think that?"

"I saw the way that you were looking at her tonight and if I'm being honest, it wouldn't surprise me if you did like her. She's stunning and we've been together for a long time and I thought that maybe you were bored of me," you answered honestly.

Tommy rolled his eyes playfully before laying down on the bed, dragging you down with him. "There's only one woman that I want and it's you. There's no need to be insecure, okay?" He rolled over, so he was on top of you before pressing a gentle kiss against your lips.

"Why did you keep looking at her then?"

"She's dodgy," he replied, shrugging his shoulders. "I need to keep an eye on her and find out what she's up to. There's something not right and you know me, I'll find it out."