Chapter 24

"Will you shut up?" Major asked as we drove to Tre's high school. I was blasting Sza's album, like I usually do, and I guess it was starting to get on his nerves.

I ignored him and continued to sing my heart out. I couldn't convince Major not to go to Tre's parent teacher conference so Tre made me come with them so Major wouldn't embarrass him too much.

I turned the music and looked at Tre who was in the backseat on his phone.

"You tryin' out for basketball this year?" I asked. He mentioned it to me a couple of times that he was interested in playing but wasn't sure if he fully wanted to pursue it

"I'm still thinkin' about it, I don't know if I can focus on writing and hoopin'. I wanna do both but I don't know." he shrugged.

"Well, whatever you do I'll support you." I turned back around in my seat.

"Where y'all wanna eat after this?" Major asked.

"That Mexican spot of Main Street." Tre suggested.

"We can't go there." Major shook his head.

"Why not?"

"We kinda got banned from there." I mumbled. A while ago when me and Major were still dating we had a date there and things kinda got outta hand in the bathroom, leading to us getting banned for a year.

Tre already knew how we were, which made him shake his head.

"Then y'all pick." He sighed.

"Let me think about it." I didn't know what I was craving for.

We arrived at the school and Tre led us to one of us teachers.

"This is Mrs.Gears, Mrs.Gears this is my brother, Major and my sister, Kellcey."

We sat down and listened to Tre's talk about how he's a pretty good student but sometimes she catches him writing instead of doing poetry. After talking to his teachers we noticed they were saying the same thing.

After the conferences Tre went to hang out with some of his friends and we were on our way to get food but I didn't know where.

"What are we doing here?" I noticed we were at his father's house.

"I need to talk to my Pops and there's free food here so why not?" he shrugged and got out the car. I rolled my eyes but followed him. He knows I'm not a hundred percent comfortable with his family.

"Hey Kellcey, long time no see." his sister Destiny greeted me.

"Yeah, I know I've been really busy lately." I was being completely honest because there has been a lot going on.

"So you just gon' ignore ya own brother?" Major smacked his lips.

"I see you all the time." Destiny waved him off which made me chuckle. I saw him go down the hallway.

"Come and sit down, get off your feet. You want something to eat?" she led me to the couch.

"Sure." I answered. Destiny left and soon returned with a plate full of soul food and my mouth was watering.

I listened to Destiny talk while I ate and threw in a few "Mhm" and "Yeah girl" because I didn't wanna be rude but I was focus on my food.

Whoever made this food put their foot in it cause it was so good.

"You know Major told me about him and Dani breaking up." Destiny was cheesing hella hard.

"Okay?" I was mad confused on what that had to do with me.