21 | the south side

~ charlottes pov

joey asked me on a date. yes. you read that right. no need to go back and check the spelling, a date.

that thing when two people socialise over a lot of crap and pretend to be interested in each other, until the end of the date when they exchange numbers, never to see each other again.

well, that's not always how it goes. but that's my experience of dates.

however, me and joey had been on a lot of dates in the past. cinema, restaurants, my house, his house, the beach- you get the point.

me and "mr sartorius" had never been on a date. probably because we aren't dating.
and never will. because he still hasn't answered my calls or texts.

"you ready for this date?" alissa asks as she walks into my room.
"i hate dates." i roll my eyes, holding a black dress up to my body.
"and i hate that dress." alissa says, pulling it out my hand and walking over to my closet.

alissa looks through my clothes, and stops at a short black skirt.
i squint my eyes as i see her take it out.
"no way," i exclaim "that's super short." i widen my eyes.

"it's a date. with your ex boyfriend. he's probably seen you naked before." alissa laughs.
i look at her as she hands me the skirt. "i thought you didn't want me to fall for joey," i say, pulling it onto my bare legs.

"jacob might be my cousin, but he's being a dickhead to you. you gotta look hot, make him jealous." she smirks. i roll my eyes.
i put on a crop top that i really like, it's baby pink.

——-

"while you two are on this date- i have to go somewhere." alissa awkwardly says, avoiding eye contact.
"is it a date?" i exclaim, winking at her.
"no. no! wrong thing." she says.

"oh.." i say, continuing getting ready.
"i- i have to leave around 6." she nods her head slowly. "i can see you soon?"
i check my phone. 5:50pm.
"okay, see you later" i smile.
she sighs. her mood completely changing from how it was 10 mins ago.

"i love you," she says hugging me and slightly laughs, tears in her eyes.
"are you crying?" i say, "what?"
"i love you." she repeats.
"i love you too." i speak, confusion still in my head.

alissa walks out my house. i look at her as she does. where is she going?
i wait 10 minutes, before heading downstairs, and looking out the window.
i hear the door bell ring as i do.

i pull my hands through my curls to loosen them slightly, and take a deep breath. joey must be early.

as i open the door, i don't see what i expect.

"jacob? what are you doing here?" i ask.
"we need to go get alissa." he says.
i squint my eyes "where is she going?" i question.

jacob stops for a minute. "where are YOU going?" he says, looking at me up and down.
"i'm going on a uh-" i remember what alissa said about jealously. "a date."
"oh.. right." jacob looks at the ground.
"well, i'll go get alissa alone." he speaks up.

"no. no. if she's in trouble i'll be there." i nod my head, and walk outside, closing the door behind me.
"are you sure?" jacob asks.
i smile at him "i'm sure."

"alissas away to the south side of town." jacob tells me as we walk towards his car.

i stop in my path. "no, jacob you're lying. she wouldn't go there." i think about the south side of town. the broken windows, destroyed houses, the gangs. the drugs.

"cmon charlotte. we need to find her."
i nod my head and follow behind jacob,

forgetting all about where i'm meant to be.
with joey. on a date.