37 | "of course, mr rose"

~ jacobs pov

"hurry up j" charlotte calls to me.
her and alissa both laugh and wait on me coming closer.

being charlottes boyfriend has a lot of pros- with a few cons. well, quite a few cons.
we're currently at the mall, which is definitely not my favorite place when it includes charlotte and alissa buying every "cute shirt" they see.

i walk up to charlotte with the large pile of clothes in my arms.
"are you finally done?" i ask and she laughs.
"one more.." charlotte lifts up a red dress, and places it on top of the pile.

"how much of it are you paying for then?" charlotte asks me and i roll my eyes.
"this must come to at least 300$!!" i complain.

"i. am. joking. i'll pay." charlotte smiles at me as i place the clothing items down at the till.
i give in and hand her a hundred dollar bill.

i turn on my phone and scroll through my notifications while charlotte and alissa pay.
it's mostly all boring, soccer players tweets, the news..

i gasp as i see an email i never thought i'd get. an acceptance letter for harvard. i almost forgot i applied with everything going on.

"what's up?" charlotte asks and i quickly lock my phone. "nothing baby." i say and she nods.

my current local college hasn't been giving me everything i need. i wanted to try something crazy, something new.. but i cant move that far away.. can i really miss an opportunity like this?
charlotte is going to kill me.

"ready to leave?" alissa asks and i smile. "let's go!" i say and the three of us walk out of the store, and down to the mall exit.

——-

the harvard acceptance was only a fraction of my worries.
charlotte invited me over to her house today for a "sunday family meal" where she's hoping to tell her parents me and her are dating.

i put on my best shirt and tie with a pair of black jeans and look at myself in the mirror.

i sigh, before pulling off the tie and undoing my top button as i remember what charlotte said. her parents like me for me, why try be someone else when i could just be myself.

i pull some gel through my hair, before putting on some "smart" sneakers and walking out my house.

i walk up the hill practising in my head what i'm going to say to them.
"so i asked your daughter to be my girl- nah that's stupid." "i want permission to date your daughter!.. but i already am so that's being rude."

i find myself at charlottes door quicker than i realised. i knock and listen as the dog barks and i hear light footsteps before the door opens slowly.
"welcome." charlotte says and gestures for me to come in. i smile and place a kiss on her cheek as she closes the door behind us.

"hello mabel!" i exclaim petting the soft fur of charlottes dog. if all else fails, at least her dog likes me.

"jacob?" charlottes mom says as she walks into the living room.
"hi mrs rose." i smile and place a kiss on her cheek to say hello.

"what's jacob doing here?" charlottes mom asks her and charlotte awkwardly plays with her hands before replying.
"um.. i thought it'd be nice if we both sat down and had some dinner with you and daddy since he's home from work."

to my surprise, charlottes mom doesn't seem to suspect anything. she smiles and nods her head before leading us both to the kitchen.

we all sit down at the dinner table. "this smells lovely." i tell mr rose.
"thank you jacob , nice of someone to appreciate my cooking." he says and laughs, and charlotte whispers to me.
"he's a pretty bad chef."
i laugh to myself quietly.

——-

as we all finish dinner and charlottes mom takes the dishes to clean up- me and charlotte sit down in the living area with her dad.

"anyone want a glass of wine? a special occasion it is!" her dad laughs and i shake my head.
"no thanks.. not really in the mood." i laugh.
he nods his head and pours a small glass for charlotte. it's harmless if her parents are here and she's safe.

8 and a half minutes later- yes i did count, charlottes mom came over to sit with us.
"mom.. dad.." charlotte says after giving me a reassuring look.

"yes ?" her mom says questionably.
"me and jacob have something to tell you.."
"you're not pregnant are you?" her dad asks and i snigger quietly to myself.

"what no?!" charlotte exclaims.
"are you sexually active?" her mom asks, a scared tone in her voice.
"what? no- well.."

"me and charlotte are dating." i spit it out fast, but with a confident tone in my voice.
"dating?" charlottes dads eyes widen.
"i'm happy for you !" her mom says and smiles at me then at charlotte.

"so you are sexually active?" her dad asks and charlottes face goes red.
her mom slaps her dads leg "bob." mrs rose whispers quickly. "leave her alone."

me and charlotte look at each other and charlotte nods her head smiling, even though she doesn't look 100% sure. "it's ok." she says to me and i nod at her. 

a massive wave of relief hits me, and i instantly feel so much better.
"treat my daughter well." her dad looks at me with a concerned look.

"of course , mr rose."

although part of me wonders..
will i even be sticking around for long with this harvard opportunity?