40 | that time again

~ charlottes pov

it's october 2nd. jacobs birthday.
i'm downstairs making him breakfast.
summers been over for a while , jacob still hasn't accepted or declined the huge harvard opportunity.

he says he's 'thinking' and the school was surprisingly accepting of it.
i put the cutlery onto the breakfast tray and walk up the stairs.

i push my back against his bedroom door to open it. i walk in quietly in case he's still asleep, but to my surprise the beds empty.

"babe-"
"boo!" jacob shouts as he jumps out from behind me, scaring me almost enough to drop his food.
i slap his arm and roll my eyes.
sometimes it's like having a child more than a boyfriend.

"well.. where's my happy birthday." jacob laughs and i push past him placing the tray down on his bedside table.
"it's that time again" he says as he sits on the edge of the bed.
"i've aged another year." he laughs.

"the big 21." i say and he smiles at me.
"the legal age to drink." he says and takes a bottle of wine out from under his bed.
"it's 11am!" i take the bottle out his hands and place it across the room. "and it's not like the legal age stopped you before." i pull his curtains open.

jacob squints his eyes as he adjusts to the fall sunlight of virginia. "it's mad that i met you when i was 19." he says and laughs.
i smile as i sit down beside him. "it was a year and a half ago."

"the best day of my life." he says and kisses my cheek gently.
"come on now.. eat your breakfast." i say and stand up to go shower.

"showering without me?" he says getting up and walking towards me.
"stoppp j, i need a shower!" i feel my cheeks blush as i push his body away.

he ends up chasing me around the room, showing off both of our childish sides, but it's not long before i'm tired and jacob picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder.

"jacob!" i exclaim and he laughs as he carries me to bathroom.
he places me down and locks the door.
"i spent 20 minutes making you that food". i say to him and he laughs.
"well i'm not hungry right now, and anyway, isn't that a girlfriends job?"

i shake my head at him. "i'm gonna shower." i say and he pulls my body against his.
i touch his bare chest gently.

"i love you. happy birthday baby." i say and he smirks.
"i love you too."

i place a kiss on his soft lips. "now.. out you get." i say unlocking the bathroom door and pushing him out.

——-

"lovely to see you!" i say to jacobs mom as i hug her tightly.
today, for jacobs birthday, both of our families decided to go for a meal together.

"so nice to meet you!" my mom says to jacobs sister, caroline, as they hug, they've never actually had the chance to meet before now.

"let's all sit down" jacob says as he pulls out the chair for me to sit , i smile and say a quiet thank you to him.

my mom , dad and my grandma managed to come today. i actually never get to see my grandma very often, but she was so excited to meet jacob, and she seems to approve.
"what should we order?" i ask and jacob shrugs his shoulders while still looking at the menu.

"well.. what did you get him?" jacobs mom asks me and i laugh remembering i bought jacob a present.
"let me go get it.." i say and run over to the other side of the room picking up the extremely large box.

"what is this ??" jacob says as i reveal the box.
"a gift i thought you'd love" i say and pass it to him.

everyone stares at jacob as he takes off the ribbon and opens the box extremely fast.

he lets out a loud gasp as the gift is revealed.
"a designer guitar!" jacob squeals like a child as he puts the guitar up to his body.

"you can play?" my mom asks him and he nods.
"jacobs an amazing singer , he used to go to guitar lessons as a kid, he's just never really told anyone." i explain.

"thank you so much." jacob smiles and stands up to hug me tightly.
"i love you." he whispers into my ear
"i love you too." i say back before pulling away from the hug and placing a kiss on his cheek.

"one thing- you've gotta play me a song later." i laugh and he nods his head.
"deal." he says and we both sit down.

"ready to order?" the waiter asks.