Chapter 1

========>Edited<========

The truth always comes out in the end, no matter how hard anyone tries to hide it or stop it. Lies are just a temporary delay to the inevitable.

............................................................

*riiiiiiiiiing-*

"Hello?" Clarissa answered her mom's cell with her free hand while chewing on her taco.

"Ji Hyo?"

Ji Hyo? Who's that? She wondered.

"I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong number." Clarissa was about to hang up when the voice on the other line stopped her.

"Wait, you must be Clarissa. Can you pass the phone to your mom?"

What?? How would she know who I am??

"Oh, alright. Just a moment please." Clarissa ran upstairs and passed the phone to her mom. And for the first time in ten years, she saw her mom cry again. Her hands trembled as she covered her mouth.

"Mng, bye." She said with a shaky voice right before hanging up. She looked at her daughter with her puffy red eyes, sighing in defeat. She started dialling another number with a frown on her face.

"My dad passed away last night. His died from overworking. And my mom passed from shock of the news. I'm going to Korea for a few months to pay my respects and accompany my sister. I'm taking Clarissa with me. She's seventeen already. It's about time she learns about her past." Then she hung up the phone.

Clarissa was so confused. Her head was filled with questions and she was eager to get answers.

"Mom? What's going on? I thought my grandparents died in a car crash before I was born? Why are you going to Korea for? Why am I going with you? What do you mean learn about my past?? And who's this Ji Hyo person??" Clarissa spoke so fast she mispronounced some words.

"I know there's a lot to explain but I'll do that later. Just go to your room and pack your things. We're going to Korea tomorrow, first thing in the morning." She said.

"But-"

"No buts." She pointed up the stairs.

"Typical Asian mom." Clarissa grumbled.

..........

After about two hours of packing, Clarissa hoped onto her bed, exhausted. She took out her phone and called her only friend, Samuel, to inform him about the sudden news. Of course, questions even she wanted answers too were asked but all she could answer him with was 'I don't know.' Leaving to chat and catching up on stuff, few hours passed just in a blink of an eye. She said her last goodbyes before hanging up and headed downstairs for dinner.

"Mom, isn't it about time you explain to me what in the world is going on?" She said after a few minutes of silence in the air.

She looked down at her food and sighed once again. It took her a while but she eventually did answer Clarissa.

"My parents didn't die before you were born. I just ran away and left on my own so I could never face them. That's why I told u they passed away. And I'm not Chinese. I'm Korean. I lied about that too. So they just passed away and we have to go to Korea. We're staying there for a few months too. My real name is Park Ji Hyo. And the woman on the line before was my younger sister. And you, you're... let's say part Korean as well. Your name before coming to New York was Park Min Hye. You took on my surname."

"So am I Chinese? Or Korean? Or am I a mix?"

"That's enough for now. You'll start finding out more things when you grow older. Maybe even find out more things in Korea."

"Why's you run away?" Clarissa swallowed her broccoli.

"Let's just say I wanted to live a simple life." She stopped eating.

And no one said a word again. Complete silence.

".... mom, we're going to Korea tomorrow right?"

"Yes."

"But, what about school? I'm in the middle of my school semester and I have friends, no wait, a friend, and a life here too you know? I can't just go to Korea." Clarissa raised her voice a little.

"Don't worry, I've informed your headmaster. You'll be going to a school in Korea. Your aunt is the headmistress there so you should be fine."

"But, I don't know any Korean words mom..."

"Don't worry, your aunt's school is an international music school. They will surely have foreigners like you, and you'll pick up Korean in no time."

"When will we be back?"

"In about 6 months time or more... Just get ready to leave New York because we won't be back in a long time. Now finish your dinner before it gets cold and go get ready for tomorrow's flight. We'll be leaving the house at 6 in the morning sharp."

"....okay."

[A/N] thx for readinggggg 🖤🖤 I really hope you'll enjoy this.... "book".