You're to Blame

Walking from a few blocks down I put on a mourning face, meeting the group of people dressed in black. I near them when I hear my name being called from behind. I turn to see Gabriel running after me.

"Hey?" I ask slowly. He stops to catch his breath although well fit.

"I wasn't expecting you to be here." He says, his eyes sad.

"Why?" I ask, suddenly cautious.

"Well you are new here and on your very first day some kid dies." He answers and looks over to the group. I follow his gaze.

"What was his name?" I ask in a smaller voice. He looks to me but I don't catch his eye.

"Adam." Is all he says. He was studying me intently. I finally look back at him, his eyes suddenly dull. "Let's get out of here." He says and starts walking off. I open my mouth to object, finally racing after him.

"But the funeral?" I ask, looking back. No one noticed us.

"I need to talk to you." I gulp and follow after him as he leads me through the small town, walking us onto a bridge where he overlooks the water. I stand beside him and peer over as little ripples form.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, my hands sweating with nerves.

"There's something in town, someone." He starts, avoiding my gaze. "This many deaths, it's never happened before. The devil is in town." He says under his breath with such bitter hatred. I look down now.

"What are you getting at?" I ask. This is when he looks up and takes my hand.

"I'm trying to warn you." He says, raising my chin to look at me. I clench my jaw. "I don't want him to hurt you." He whispers and steps forward, his head dropping down closer to mine. I gasp before jerking away.

"I have to go." I say, turning around and running off with tears stinging my eyes. Sad thing is, he doesn't follow me.

-

I plop down on my bed and wipe my tears away with haste. My face is buried in my pillows, hands under them as I force myself to breathe.

"Karma?" It was my dad. I sit up, facing away from the door as I blink my eyes dry.

"Yes daddy?" I ask and turn around. He stands in my doorway, towel wrapped around his waist. I look back to his face and bite my lower lip.

"Is everything alright baby? How'd the funeral go?" He asks, coming over to me. I sigh and drop my head.

"Very dark." I answer, referring to the black clothes worn.

"You're back earlier than expected." He chuckles and leans over my bed, hovering in front of me. "Missed your daddy that soon?" He asks and grips the back of my head, pulling me forward as his lips envelope mine. I gasp as he pushes my back, his towel undoing itself as he forces himself over me.