19-Race to Get the Girl

Cher

I finally got released from the hospital, my cast finally off and me back to normal. Well physically, not mentally. Charley blocked me and didn't really want to talk to me. Jest did actually fly back home. Justina hasn't even looked at me and Andrew and AJ never come home because they avoid me.

I can't control my anger, I can't control what rolls out of my mouth and that's just me. I'm a mean bitch but I learned something. I shouldn't necessarily say things that I would soon regret.

So to make up for my actions and actually apologize, I start with Charley and stop by her sorority house to make amends, and offer her the chocolate she use to be obsessed with when she was younger and a wacky "I'm sorry for being a dick" card I brought from a guy selling them on the street, coincidentally.

I ring the doorbell and wait for one of her girls to come and answer. Surprisingly it's Naomi. She eyes me and then rolls her eyes. So she isn't happy to see my presence.

"What do you want? Charley isn't here anymore," She grunts out rudely.

"Well I need to talk to you," I state truthfully and she eyes me confusingly.

"I know we were suppose to attempt something but I didn't put forth effort into asking you on a date, which I am sorry, but I want to tell you that what you saw that morning, with me coming down with Charley, was nothing. Well it led to something, but it wasn't anything that morning. That's not the point though—the point is that I am sorry and I want to keep in touch as friends." She stares at me for a bit and says absolutely nothing. Few minutes later the door just slams in my face.

Hm, that was uh, that was...expected.

She reopens the door and that takes me by surprise.

"Charley's moved out, she didn't want to be apart of the sorority any more. Emily told me to give you this," she says as she hands me a piece of paper. I look at the neatly written address.

"Have a nice life Cher," she leans forward and places a sweet soft kiss onto my lips, which only last for a few seconds before she pulls away and smiles at me and shuts the door.

"160 N. Hubbler St," I read aloud as I race towards my car. Yes it's one of those cliche moments where I race to get the girl. That's if she truly likes me and wants me. It was just a kiss Charley gave me, right?

I stop my thinking and drive right over to the address.

Emily or whatever her name is didn't really give me Charley specific apartment number so I rang every resident bell. So far an old lady called me a "shithead" and women with 8 kids backed her up and threw "bread" at me. After countless attempts, Charley finally sticks her head out her window to see me standing there pulling bread crumbs out of my hair.

"What the fuck Cher!" She yells as she stares down at me from the 4th floor annoyed. I put on my biggest and best smile but she isn't having it.

"I'm sorry Charley okay, I'm a dick and I didn't mean to hurt you," I call out and she shakes her head at me and breaks into fits of laughter, I think she's crying....I'm not sure because I can't see from down here.

"I'm really tired of people telling me that Cher, honestly, it gets tiring. Why do things to hurt someone if you're just going to end up saying you didn't "mean to"," she shrugs.

"Are you talking about Autumn? Charley, I'm not Autumn, I won't," I try to explain but she cuts me off.

"I'm not stupid Cher! I've been that for months now. I know you're kind." She calls out and the old woman eyes shift back to me for my rebuttal.

"Just please let me come up Charaline! I don't want to stand here and put on a show for," I glance at the woman with her 8 children and the old lady. Charley disappears from the window and I wait. And wait...and wait. She finally buzzes me up and I race to the 4th floor. As I turn the corner she waits there with her arms folded. She steps aside and I enter.

"Charley I know I left without..."

"Let me talk for a change Cher!" She blurts out and I instantly shut my mouth and give her my undivided attention.

"I don't know if you know this but I had a huge crush on you since we were younger! I loved you, not as best friends but more. Once Jamie moved in and you started to like her and talk about her a lot, I couldn't handle it. I thought you wouldn't see me as the girlfriend type. I thought you would just view me as your friend so I stepped aside. I tried to hide my feelings for you but each time I saw you with Jamie I couldn't control it, that's why I became distant..."

"Charley I..."

"That night you left, you showed up at Jamie's home. I know this because Jamie and I had a sleepover and you came to the door. Jamie was setting up the room and the bell rang so I ran down to get it and you stood there drunk off your ass. Your ear was bleeding and your knuckles were swollen and bruised. You told me to tell Jamie that you were leaving and that you loved her and you'll be back soon, b-but I didn't. I couldn't tell her that because it wasn't that you said you love her but it was that you didn't even tell me goodbye, you literally just said "tell Jamie I'm sorry that I'm leaving her, tell her I love her and will be back," and you ran off. You didn't say not once, " I will miss you Charley" or "I love you Charley" or anything and that pained me," she cries more and I just stare shockingly. I honestly don't remember this. What, why? What is happening? I step forward to embrace her but she steps away.

"I left that night also, hurt. I went home and didn't speak to Jamie for awhile because I couldn't face her," she cries out and sobs and I stand there pained. I did this? How could I be so stupid? I didn't know Charley liked me, honestly? I thought it was just a best friend bond. I try to step forward again and this time she doesn't budge and I clutch her tightly.

"You were literally the first person to break my heart," she chuckles out. Tears slowly begin to fall down my face also.

"You have to believe me, I didn't know you had feelings for me, I didn't even know about me showing up that night," I confirm and clutch her face.

"W-why didn't you been tell me about this?" I question as I kiss her cheek.

"Because I couldn't, you were madly in love with Jamie, you're still in..." she tries but I shake my head furiously.

"No, she's moved on, I moved on. She's married and pregnant and happy, I can't be added to that and plus I don't want to because I like you Charley," I chuckle.

"No, you're just saying that since I just confessed my undying love for..." before she could finish I place my lips gently on her soft plumped ones. It takes her by surprise because she stumbles back a little bit, but then her arms wrap around my neck and her lips smash into mine hungrily. After a few minutes of exotic kissing, I pull back and stare into those dark puddles of eyes. A weary look falls upon her face, along with strands of her curly hair.

"I like you now Charley, I liked you since I saw you in that park, and I'm sorry it took me so long to realize that," I pout and she pulls away.