27-Broken Souls

Charley (POV)

I drive through the lot once more looking for Cher, but she's nowhere to be found. I leave and head to her mom house, maybe she's there. I hate when she does this! She acts like a three year old. She never stays to discuss the situation, rather run away in a temper tantrum.

I call her phone but she doesn't answer. I'm not going to blow her phone up constantly, until I find out whether or not she's home. I park Cher's car and emerge. I knock casually and Mrs. Manson answers with the brightest smile, but the smile drops from her tanned face once she sees Cher isn't with me.

"Cher isn't coming?" I frown. So she didn't come home after our argument.

"No, she, uh said she's going to be a little late." She nods worriedly and steps aside for me to enter the home that's all so familiar.

"I'll take this," she says as she takes the pie out of my hand and embraces me with a tight hug. I smile at her warmth. Mrs.Manson may have a bit of issues up there, but she's a very warming lady. She adapts to being that mother figure you never had. I mean I had my grandma, she was my nana and raised me beautifully. Along with my siblings, who are now all away being successful. My little brother attends a Boarding  school his dad pays for. His dad is very wealthy and he kinda ignores the fact that JR has other siblings. I haven't saw JR since he was 5, he's 17 now. I really miss him.

My youngest sibling is named Mariah. She lives with my grandma here, she's 15. Mariah is a unique kind of girl, she's very special and smart, beautiful, she's also autistic. Mariah only stays with my grandma on Tuesday and Thursdays. Since my grandma is getting very old and weak, it's hard for her to look after Mariah, so she attends Mary St. Peter's Autistic girls home. As stated in the name, it's a autistic home for young girls. I tried to take Mariah in countless times but they won't let me. They say I'm not eligible because I'm in college and I don't have enough income to pay for her medicine, her schooling or living. I vowed to my grandma that I will get 10 jobs if I had to, just to take care of her, but she refuse to give me custody. She wants me to finish college and accomplish my dreams, but she's getting older and she can't take care of her forever.

My oldest sister Jennifer, 25, is some high class bougie doctor. She doesn't have time for us. She said once she finished college she'll never return home, and she owned up to that. She never came around. She hated the burden of having to take care of us whenever my grandma got sick. It was tough for her because at the age of 13, she was feeding Mariah and taking care of me. JR dad had already taken him away, so that was less stress on Jennifer.

"Dinner is almost ready, where's Cher?" Justina questions as she glances over at the sofa at me. I look up from my cell and her eyes narrow at me. Almost as if she's trying to read me. She dries her hand on her apron and walks over to me.

"What did she do? Did she hurt you?" She instantly questions. I shake my head no.

"We just got into a minor fight, that's it." I smile. Justina nods skeptically.

"So where's Cher?" She questions and I raise my eyebrows while giving her that obvious look.

"She ran away from her problems, as always." I murmur lowly. She nods understanding.

"Well that's Cher for you! She'll come around, once she sets her pride aside." I roll my eyes. Knowing Cher, that'll probably take years for her to accomplish.

"Now come on, Mary and I didn't cook for the fun of it, let's eat!" She cheers and I actually smile at the sound of that. Justina made me crab legs because she knows how much I love seafood. I become excited and jump at that chance.