6- Find A Way

Jayden

The boys return from their series with the Pirates winning two of the games and keeping the standings close. It was still early in the season to be looking at the standings, but they were there for a reason.

Early this morning I go out to make a cup of coffee like I always do. To my surprise the coffee was already made and my mug was filled. I pick up my cup and take a deep breath in. Hazelnut, my favorite.

"Hey" a voice says and I jump. I laugh when I realize it was just Kris.

"Jeeze, you scared me half to death" I say putting my hand over my heart to make sure it doesn't beat out of my chest.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you" he blushes and I give a smile.

"It's okay. I'm pretty jumpy anyway" I assure him. "Thanks for the coffee" I say holding it up.

"You always make me a cup, I figured I could return the favor" he admits.

"What's got you up his early" I question before taking a sip of coffee. He actually did pretty good.

"I wanted to talk to you before Anthony got up" he claims and I raise a eyebrow.

"Is that so" I ask.

"Yeah..." he trails off. "Listen... I know Anthony told you that I like you the other day and I really didn't want you to find out that way" he starts.

"Word of the wise, Anthony has some pretty loose lips" I advise and he laughs.

"I know that now" he chuckles.

"And if it makes you feel any better... I like you too" I smile and he turns to me with bright eyes. There was a little sparkle in them, I swear.

"Really" he asks.

"Yeah. I mean I know I'm not supposed to, but I do" I shrug.

"Now what" he asks.

"I don't know. I really don't want to go against Anthony's word. He's my best friend in the entire world. He's saved my ass so many times before, I know that if he says we shouldn't be together that there's a good reason and it's not what he's saying. Im not buying any of that brother and sister shit, it's something else and it must be pretty good if he feels so strongly about it. He loves me and you and he wants us to be happy, if for some reason he thinks we would be unhappy together..." I trail off.

"I tried to find out why he doesn't like the idea of us together. It's always some loose excuse like "it would be weird" or he doesn't want you to get hurt or we're both chasing our dreams heading in different directions. But we will never know until we try" he says.

"I want to be with you Kris... you have to know that. But this is Anthony's house and we have to respect his wishes. It sucks that Anthony has literally cock blocked me my whole life, but he hasn't been wrong yet" I defend.

"Okay" he sighs. I can tell that is not what he wanted to hear but I don't know what else to say. There was no way we could be in a relationship here, now.

"I'm sorry Kris" I say softly.

"It's okay" he claims.

"It's not" I insist.

"I don't know what to tell you. I like you, a lot. And I would love to get to know who you are and who you want to be. To show you a good time and be more than happy together. Anthony is my friend too, he's already done some great things for me. I just... I don't know. I thought maybe you would fight this a little harder or try to get to know me before you shot me down" he shrugs.

"I'm not shooting you down" I defend.

"You kind of are" he insists and I sigh.

"Listen-" I start but stop when I hear a door open. Anthony comes out in his underwear and I just shake my head. I guess we haven't established boundaries yet.

"Morning people" he says. He kisses the side of my head and goes to pour himself a cup of coffee. My eyes never leave Kris as he stares me down.

He quickly turns on his heel and walks away. I let out a sigh and Anthony turns to me.

"What was that about" he asks.

"Nothing" I grumble.

"Doesn't sound like it" he chirps leaning against the counter.

"It's nothing you can help with" I reiterate.

"I beg to differ" he says and I raise a eyebrow.

"Kris admitted to liking me and I said I like him back but I don't want to date behind your back" I say and he nearly spits out his drink.

"Okay... I was not expecting that" he claims.

"What do I do" I whine. He was my best friend after all. He should help me.

"Nothing. You're right" he says and I sigh. Not the answer I was looking for.

"Why though? Why can't I be with him" I ask.

"Remember what happened last time you tried to date one of my baseball buddies" he asks.

"We were in high school" I defend.

"And you're still hurting" he argues and I sigh. He pulls me into a hug as I pout into his chest.

"Thank you for trusting in me. You might not understand it now, but you'll see what I'm doing sooner or later. I love you Jay, more than anything. And I know you like him but this is best for everyone" he claims.

"Okay" I sigh and he pats my back. He lets me go and I wash the cups.

I take a shower and decide to go workout in the workout room downstairs. I usually do that to clear my mind and I had a lot to think about.

I go on a treadmill and plug in my headphones. I start with a light jog and watch myself in the mirrored wall. About 20 minutes later someone joins me on the treadmill next to me. I look over and see it was Kris. I slow down a little and turn to him.

"Can we talk" I ask.

"I think we've had enough of that for today" he claims.

"Kris... I didn't want this to happen" I argue.

"Then what do you want, because I'm confused as hell" he insists.

"I want you! Okay? I want you..." I yell and he stops fiddling with the treadmill.

"It sure doesn't seem like it" he sighs.

"I don't know what to do. I was sent out here under the presences that I respect Anthony's wishes. And I want answers just as bad as you do. But life isn't always yes or no or give or take. If I thought I was capable I would say let's be together but I can't do that to him. He trusts me and I don't want to lose his trust. It's too easy to lose and too hard to get back. I wish I knew what to do. I wish there was a way I could be with you and Anthony be happy about it. But he's stubborn and I don't know what to say to him to get it through his thick head that some chances... some of them are with taking" I explain.

"Let's show him" he says.

"How" I ask.

"I don't know" he shrugs and I laugh. "You really like me" he asks.

"Yeah" I nod.

"Then we will find a way."