29- Team Get Together

Kris

We come up to the end of the baseball season and to many peoples surprise we had won over 95 games and were in line to play a post season game. Sure it was a winner takes all wildcard game but it was against the Pirates, who do not scare us.

And to close out this season the guys were holding a get together at Jakes house. Just to kinda rewind before the craziness that is the post season happens. There was a lot of hype around us. A lot of people think I'm going to be rookie of the year, Joe will probably manager of the year considering that he took a team who won 66 games last year and helped them win 95 the next. Jake will most definitely win Cy Young with the fire he's been throwing these past few months. Then we have all the young guys like Schwarbs and Addi and veteran guys like Dex and Starlin. It was a really fun and really good team, and how we get along off the field has a lot to do with how good we do on it.

"Who's ready to party" Anthony yells walking into Jakes house.

"Tony... this isn't a party" Jake says.

"Not with that attitude" Anthony shuns going to the fridge for a beer.

"Hey Kris, Jayden" Brittney, Jakes wife says giving us a hug.

"Hey girl. How have you been, do you need any help" Jayden offers.

"Sure! Can you help me finish setting the table" Britt asks.

"Yeah of course" she says going off to help her.

She disappears for a second before running back into the room we were in. She pulls me into a kiss before running off again. I watch her disappear into the kitchen but the smile is left on my face.

"You got it bad" Jake says patting my back.

"Yeah... I do" I agree.

I go into the living room and join Anthony on the couch. We chill out like we would back home as the guys join us. Eventually the house was full of rowdy baseball players who are just excited to be together again.

"So Kris, I hear you got big plans for after the season is over" Jon says while nursing a beer. He was done pitching for the year so he had nothing to worry about.

"Yeah. Hopefully we have a long post season, but when baseball is done we're traveling the world, going to the AMAs and Florida for the holidays" I explain.

"Just when I thought I couldn't get more jealous of you" Addison teases.

"What can I say? I'm blessed" I admit.

"You're lucky" Addi smirks.

"Yeah... that too" I laugh.

Eventually the ladies join us and Jayden snuggles into my lap. Anthony seemed to be the only single one around besides Schwarbs who just turned 22 in his own defense.

I wrap my arm around Jayden and grip my hand around her thigh. She goes on to talk to everyone and we have a really nice time.

"So, I did something" Jayden announces.

"What did you do" I ask a bit skeptical. This could be anything from she bought a house to she's wearing new underwear. She's pretty easily excited.

"I got the ladies a little something for the playoffs" she says pulling out her phone. "Nothing too big. Just personalized hoodies with drawings of everyone's families on it to wear in Pittsburg since it'll be cold there" she explains.

"Seriously" Addison's fiancé Melisa asks. They just had kid together earlier this year and they are some of the most mature people I have ever met, despite being so young.

"Yeah! It was hard not to be creepy and go through everyone's stuff but I have a picture with everyone so I sent it to a artist and they drew everyone's portraits with with Wrigley in the back" she explains holding her phone up so everyone can see them.

"Awww is that us with Naya" Dexter asks.

"Yeah, my favorite little princess" Jayden smiles.

"Well that's so sweet of you. How much do we owe you for those" David's wife asks.

"Not a damn thing. You guys brought me in and helped me out so much. I've get a part of this Cubs family from day one, and it's thanks to you girls" she insists.

"We're all kind of new here, it's cooler when we go through this together" Darya claims.

"Well you guys are like a adopted family and I'm so thankful for going through this crazy journey with you all. You're all some of my best friends and I know we won't stay together forever, but none of that really matters right now. Since were here together I want you guys to know that you're the best and I'm so thankful for all of you. I know I can look back to this year of my life as one of the best and its a great part thanks to everyone in this room" she finishes.

"But mostly me" Anthony says and everyone groans lightly.

"You sure know how to ruin a good moment" Jayden shuns.

"It's what I do" he shrugs.

"He's just salty because no one is going to be wearing his big head on a sweatshirt" David teases and the boys laugh.

"Actually..." she starts but gets interrupted by the door bell going off. Everyone looks around confused but she smiles big, being the only person who knows who is behind that door.

"Who are we missing" Brittney asks.

"Hold on just one second" she insists popping up from my lap. She leaves for a few seconds and there's a commotion before she appears again. But she's not alone this time, this time she has her sister in her hands.

"Holy shit" Anthony whispers as he quickly peels himself off the couch which he was glued to the past three hours. He wraps Mandy in a hug as they embrace each other tightly.

"Who the hell is that" Schwarbs asks.

"That's Jayden's sister Mandy" I explain.

"What the hell is in their parents gene pool? And do they have another sister" he asks and I laugh.

"One is a mother and a wife and the other thinks playing baseball for a living is idiotic and wasting human potential" I tell him and he scoffs.

"I guess they can't all be perfect" he mumbles.

Jayden returns to me and smiles big.

"Did you do that" I ask.

"It was kind of for me. Every time my sister calls she asks about Anthony and how he is and what he's doing and all Anthony does is complain about how he's alone and no one cares for him. This seemed like a easy fix" she shrugs.

"And..." I trail off.

"And I made the sweatshirt and I wanted her to have a chance to wear it" she admits.

"Yeah, that sounds like you" I nod.

We all gather around the diner table and make our plates. The talking was loud and the laughter louder. People conversations from different ends of the table just so they can talk to their friends. And I know I'm new here and I don't know much about the world of professional baseball. But I knew enough to know that this team was special, and that meant we could do something special as a team.