40- Causing a Scene

Kris

"Where is she" Anthony screams as he comes busting through the hospital doors. People come in behind him trying to hold him back but I tell them that he's with me and they back off. "Where is she" he repeats a bit louder than the time before and I place a hand on his shoulder.

"She is getting tended to by doctors and what you're not going to do is bust in there and cause a scene" I insist.

"Cause a scene? It's not causing a scene when my two best friends get rushed out of the hotel we were all staying in, one of them bleeding from the mouth" he insists.

"Sorry I didn't have time for damage control, I was a little preoccupied watching my girlfriend fight for her life" I scoff.

"It shouldn't have happened in the first place" he argues.

"And what was I supposed to do about that" I ask.

"You knew she was sick, you should have said something" he spits.

"I'm not a doctor. A gut feeling that something is wrong isn't a cause for concern to these people. We went to the doctors and they couldn't find anything, my gut feeling doesn't overturn what they said" I yell back.

"I don't think you understand the severity of this. The fact that her friends and family found out by watching the news because you didn't tell us this was happening. I have her mom calling me asking if her baby girl was still alive and I had no idea what to tell her. That scared the living shit out of me, I could only imagine how her family feels."

"It happened like five hours ago, and I didn't know what to tell you. I didn't know if she was okay, if she was going to be okay. I could have called you but what would I have said? That I think she's dying, that I was watching the love of my life leave me. That the scariest moment of my life was like a nightmare and I couldn't wake up. I'm sorry I didn't call right when I found out, I'm sorry that this happened in the first place. But at least I was there for here. Not passed out drunk in a hotel room" I argue.

"Don't try to put this on me" he gasps.

"I'm not putting this on you. This isn't anyone's fault. But she needed you Anthony, and where were you? Blacked out on the bed when just a few floors beneath you your best friend was dying on the floor. You didn't see her eyes, you didn't hold her hand as she tried to fight through the pain. You were sleeping because you don't know how to deal with your problems correctly" I say.

For the first time he didn't look angry. He didn't look mad or upset, he was defeated. He couldn't argue back because I was right. Because this was the only way to get home to see what was happening.

In that moment he fell to his knees. He buried his face in his hands and cries. I've never seen him cry before. I wasn't sure what to do, I didn't want to make him cry but he was trying to push this off on me and I was going to defend myself. I know he only does that because he doesn't want to admit this is happening for no reason but that's just the way it is. She got sick and the doctors couldn't prevent this from happening. And it sucks but that's how it went.

I sit next to him and rub his back. He continues to sob as we sit on the cold ground. People continue to walk around us like this was normal because it probably was. Eventually his sniffles subside and he looks up to me.

"Is she going to be okay" he asks.

"She just woke up so they'll know more now. But she's here for at least a month, if not more. They have to keep her on fluids and make sure her organs aren't completely damaged. But yeah... she's going to be okay" I assure him.

"I have fucked her life up so much this year, she probably hates me" he says. Part of me feels like he is still drunk because he was yelling at me ten minutes ago.

"She could never hate you. Does she get upset with you? All the time, like daily" I say and he laughs. "But we only get upset about things, or people, we truly care about. I know for a fact she will be happy to see you" I assure him.

"Kris Bryant" the doctor says and I look up. "Miss Daniels is awake and open for visitors. If you and Mr. Rizzo would like to follow me I will show you to her new room" he says and I help Anthony off the floor.

"How do you know who I am" Anthony asks.

"My daughter is a cubs fan" he sighs and Anthony laughs.

"Is he serious" he asks me.

"Yeah... it's along story" I shrug.

We follow him around the hospital until we got to the less critical part of the intensive care unit.

"She's still in some pain so I ask to stay away from too much physical contact and loud noises. Just kinda talk to her and keep her mind off of... all of this" he says and we nod.

We walk in and she still sat there, as beautiful as ever.

"Hey meatball. I figured we would be in the hospital this morning to get your stomach pumped, not the other way around" she jokes and it was then I knew we would be fine.

"Wow. I love you too" he smiles and she smirks at him.

"You know I love you" Jayden insists.

"I was hoping you would."

We sit around and talk for a little. She calls her parents and explains what happened. They were already packing and ready to come up to New York since she would be here for a while.

At the end of the night she finally went public with her situation. She told the fans that it absolutely tore her apart but she was going to have to cancel the last leg of her tour until she got better. She made a video thanking everyone for their concern and prayers and told them she loved them all. She did cry a little on camera and a lot off of it.

"This has been a day huh" she asks.

"I have no clue what that means yet I totally agree with you" I laugh.

"I'm sorry this whole seeing the world thing had to come to a end already. I was having a lot of fun and I kinda neglected these uneasy feelings I was having" she starts.

"You don't have to apologize, you're okay and that's all that matters. I'm going to be with you the whole time, I promise" I say picking up her hand and kissing the back of it.

"I love you so much" she says.

"I love you too Jay. Forever."